Would you date someone with noticeable suicide marks?

Would you date someone if they had noticeable marks of a suicide attempt, like scars on the wrist?

yes or no, why or why not?

ty :)

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends (please explain)
  • Doesnt matter to me

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. And self-harm scars aren't necessarily indicative of suicide attempts. I used to cut myself when I was younger, but never once were any of them because I wanted to die. I've never been remotely suicidal. So calling them 'suicide marks' is a bit inaccurate and misleading to people who haven't been there.

For me, the biggest thing I would look for is how fresh the scars are. Like if they're still purple or red, they're relatively fresh. If they're white, they're old, and I see no issue. All of mine are white. Fresh scars would lead me to believe that the person isn't very emotionally stable. As an 'emotional hemophiliac' and previous cutter myself, I can relate and understand, but I don't think a relationship with someone who deals with their emotions in such a way would healthy for me. I used to do it, but I moved past it and learned different ways to cope. So to be with someone who still cuts themselves would be like regressing to me. I'm also rather impulsive, so that kind of influence wouldn't be good for me. Being with a person who still currently cuts and is liable to relapse and do it again anytime things get tough, it's likely that in my OWN fit of emotional rage, I might impulsively try to do the same because that's a trigger. I'd rather just avoid the situation altogether. But like I said, someone who used to do it and is over it, I would have no problem with. My boyfriend has plenty of self-harm scars of various sorts, but none of them are fresh.

• Ah, I apologize. I read some of your responses and see now what you meant, but my same general response would be the same. Yes if they're old, but probably not if they're recent. That goes for suicide attempt scars AND general self-harm scars.

What Guys Said 11

• In m opinion I think the one who tried to suicide she try it when she had lots of pro. So she choose to escape from all of it and die so if I date her and we had a pro. What will make her wait ? I mean she was ready to give her life before to run away from the pro. So I think she will go away and run so I can't live with this fact so of course no

• Assuming she's put her life back together and has no issues with suicide or depression anymore, why not?

• I would. I'd be worried, of course. But I'll do all I can to show her how important and awesome she is.

• yeah, if she's more stable now and has come to terms with her life, but not if she's currently suicidal

• If it's all in the past, and she's stable now, then yes.

• I would like to know why she tried to commit suicide, if it was/is something serious and if there's any hope of getting better along with her trying to.

• Yes

• If I found out that they actually WERE suicide scars, then yes. If it's just scars, it could be non-suicidal. I wonder about this myself, since I had wrist surgery, and I have a big, glaring scar on my wrist. Most people who notice it tend to assume that it's from cutting myself.

• Were these actual suicide scars, or self-injury scars? Most of the world doesn't understand the difference, but it is a huge one nonetheless. What you were/are dealing with that lead to that decision is important, as a continuation or recurrence of it can be hard to handle.

I would date a girl with self-inflicted scars (and tried to, unsuccessfully). However, I may be biased, as I have some arm art work of my own (self-injury, not suicidal). It's something that most of the world can't, or doesn't want to understand, so I expect that the overwhelming majority of responses will be negative. It may not be fair, but it's the way life is. It's just one of the prices we pay.

• suicide scars.

i completely understand. I self harm too, it allows me to feel something...

• If she'd gotten past that part of her life and was willing to be open and honest about her feelings (then and now) then yes, I would date a girl with suicide scars.

• Yes. I thing I've learned over time is you judge someone when you know them, not when you don't

• I've heard this before

"Judge a man after you walked a mile in his shoes."

What Girls Said 10

• If I liked them enough, we had a strong connection, and they explained to me what happened, then of course I would. If I didn't notice till after we were dating, I would question it and feel sorta hurt that he didn't tell me/feel like he could trust me with the reason why. The only reasons why I wouldn't date someone with noticeable suicide marks are one, they can't tell me what happened/the reasoning behind it and two, they are still deeply troubled and still try to commit suicide. As long as they have their life back on track and they are happy, then I don't see why I wouldn't be with them (:

• if they are horizontal, no. that's an attention seeker. vertical, yes. I've had attempts before so I couldn't judge them for it. just a little thing to remember for all the suicidal kids out there, it's up the street, not across the road.

• Sure. Everyone has a past, some worst than others. It may sound weird, but I like the thought of helping someone through a difficult time. Everyone deserves someone to care about them.

• I wouldn't for the simple fact that they would seem to have deep trauma or issues that they have had a hard time dealing with. Also I'm terrible at consoling people so I would be scared all the time that they would want to try again and I wouldn't be able to stop them. I have had enough people in my life kill themselves that I wouldn't choose to have another person in my life with the same circumstances.

• And here I thought girls were more generally more caring.

• I am caring it's not that I don't care... It's just I'm terrible with taking care of other peoples emotions. I will listen to what they need help with and try the best I can but I promise nothing

• Probably not. I wouldn't want to be with an unstable, unpredictable guy like that. However, if this was in the past, I would give it a try if he is okay now. But if he is still suicidal, I wouldn't want to get into a relationship with him.

• I would be weary about it. Like I have dated a guy that tried when I was with him. Things got really crazy so I ended it because it was changing me in a really bad way and making me super depressed.

• If they are old scars and it's a part of their life they have put behind them yes I would date them but if it is something very recent of something they are currently going through no because it is triggering for me and it would probably destroy me just as much as the person going through it.

• No, I think that would be too much to take on. Usually people who have attempted in a manner such that leaves scars have some fairly serious problems & will attempt again. I'm not up for that.

• No. That is because I have enough issues of my own, I don't want anyone elses. and clearly this person also has issues. we wouldn't make a good combination

• no I don't want someone who is mentally unstable