Online crush--does anyone else feel this way?

Daily, I log on this site at a certain time to speak to a certain someone because he is smart, funny, and fun to talk to. But lately, I've been developing a sort of crush on him even though I've never met him before. And I really wish that he'd just ask me for my number one day while we're chatting...

Is this completely weird? Or does anyone else out there feel the same way about another user?

Most Helpful Guy

• That depends first on how long you have been talking to him. I was guilty back in the day of having this happen. I was on a different forum, and a certain member and I started talking daily. After 4-5 months we started doing the webcam thing instead of just chatting on the website. That turned into like an everyday thing. We didn't exchange phone numbers till a couple months after that.

Online interactions are something you take slow. Give it extra time to see what the persons long term personality is like. It's a gradual thing.

What Guys Said 11

• Well, that's really flattering, however I can't ask you out if you make yourself anonymous, silly!

• People spend so much time online they start to confuse it with reality. No, of course I don't get crushes on people I've never even met, and who are probably much different fromt he way they describe themselves, post pictures of other people as theirs, etc.

• so how do you actualy meet people here? :o

I answer questions daily but not like I've really been "talking" to someone..

• You just add people and chat them up.

• Maybe 'cause you're faceless. (;

• Ok I thought every guy who did that was a creep around here:p so every girl seems to say..

and sorry for my face! I just don't seem to like people who punch me in the face because I might have said something stupid.

• Yeah I have me a GAG crush too lol. Word of advice- check your feelings before you get too wrapped up. Make sure to tell yourself that it's an online crush. What I have done (besides talk to her or other people about it) is to tell myself that I'm not going to meet her. Whether I do or not is a different story, and that will just have to happen. But regardless of what happens, I just tell myself that we can't meet in person because of distance and I need to keep myself grounded enough to realize reality. You may very well decide to find a way to meet up in person, and that's great- I say you have one life, so try it if you think it's worth it. But it still helps to kind of "trick" yourself into believing that you'll never meet because it helps to keep you in the now instead of the future.

• Not here, but I have in the past on other chats. Often I have exchanged numbers and even met up.

• Kinda. Although I have a friend of a friend that I've been chatting to for years via msn. Who I've turned down twice, and she's chickened out seeing me. So yeah, I have someone.

• not wierd

• I do this even though I am married I think it is just a natural human response to people who make us feel good about our selfs!

• You could ask for his..

I mean I've been chating with one girl.. I've told her we'd never meet but I wouldn't mind her number for a faster chat..

• yea its normal, I have a couple of online crushes. You just start talking to people and you think their awesome and it goes on from there

• So long as you remember that it's just an online crush, then sure it's normal enough.

We're still at a very early stage in terms of human history having access to the internet and global communication. Much of the "basic rules" and etiquette are still being ironed out. I mean, video chat is a relatively recent invention, so the rules there are still in flux. We're all just muddling through this thing for now, trying to sort out what feels right.

That's why you get so many different opinions here on questions like "Is Facebook chatting cheating?" The rules aren't laid down in stone yet.

There are 3 or 4 girls on the site I think are very cute and funny and I enjoy chatting with. If I had met them in the real world, I might have even put the age thing aside and made a pass at them. But online, it would just be too icky.

What Girls Said 9

• I think I am actually surprised by how often this happens, and it makes me think that it probably is that much easier to develop because people have the opportunity to be much different online to who they are in 'real life'. I think that is something you definitely need to be cautious of. It's been said before, but you should remain realistic about the situation. If at a later date you plan to meet up, that's great (but be careful of that too,. lots of creepers out there) but I think you should handle this in a way that keeps your expectations low. Enjoy your conversations with each other, but avoid turning it into something deeper than what you can handle. I know from my own experience that this is easier said than done, but in the end it will make things so much easier.

It's better to keep your expectations low and have the potential to be pleasantly surprised rather than be too idealistic and have them crushed. Just some food for thought.

• It's not weird, I feel the same way. One thing you gotta know about online it's that you have to be patient. It can build up pretty quick but you gotta learn to take it slow. Or else you can get ahead of yourself and I don't think that's something you want since you can't really do anything about it :\

• Not weird at all. There are few people on here that I really enjoy there company and wish they were in New York so we could go for coffee (or in some cases chai).

• it's totally normal. I have a crush on a 19 year old who lives in north carolina... and I live in canada. the chances of us meeting, is VERY VERY slim. but maybe we'll meet one day, who knows... it's totrally fine. I've had a few online crushes.

• Not weird. ;-) I feel that way some.

• it's not werid, anything is possible : ) feelings are things you can't control : )

• Not weird, but ultimately a waste of time unless you plan on meeting and even if you plan on meeting that's a waste of time unless you just want a one night stand because you guys won't be living in the same state. I've been through this whole thing before.

The crush usually exists because that person either shows you all you want to see or because you take their personality and subconciously decorate it to be your ideal personality in the opposite gender. It never works out. To be honest, it is a little lame because there are hot guys out there that you can actually spend time with that can give you so much of what you can't get from some silly, little crush on the internet lol!

• not completely weird, but don't get your hopes up

• Well they are real people even though you've never met them. You can actually learn a lot about a person if you read their answers, so maybe you feel like you know this person well enough to want to befriend or get into a relationship with them.

I don't think that would ever happen to me though. There are users I like but no users I want to date. Although it does make sense.