Do you think online dating is effective?

I am just wondering how many people out their think that online dating is effective.

• Very Much- I love online dating
  • Somewhat- I have gotten a few dates
  • Marginal- it's a hit and miss attempt
  • Not Much- But I do it anyway
  • Not at All- it's not worth the trouble

Most Helpful Girl

• I have had success, but not with my share of meeting idiots either. There are lots of good and bad things about online dating. You just have to work really hard at it to get results. I met my current boyfriend online and I had a relationship before that was from online. So it's really possible to find love on there. You just have to put in a lot of work and hope that someone else out there is serious about it too. Too many people on the dating sites, make a profile and don't really invest any time and effort into it. So I think that's why a lot of people think it doesn't work. You have to find the people who actually took time to create a profile and actually wrote more than a sentence in their About Me sections. That's what I do. The ones who take their time are usually more serious about finding someone, so they check and answer their messages more often!

What Girls Said 11

• While I have checked out online dating sites before, they personally make me a little uncomfortable. I liked talking to the guys through email, but I couldn't bring myself to actually meet up with any of them. I think it was a combo of feeling silly, and also scared I might meet up with a psycho. That being said though, my brother has had a ton of luck with online dating. Most of his dates and his last 2 girlfriends have been girls he met online. So I'd say it all depends in how comfortable you are with the idea.

• For some people, yes. I think it's a good option for introverts who have trouble approaching people in person.

I was a member of OkCupid for a long time. I met three guys.

Guy #1: Was really nice, but we weren't very compatible. He annoyed me fast :P

Guy #2: We liked each other a lot after only a few dates, but we stopped because he felt that living an hour away from each other was too far. Looking back on it, I don't think we would have lasted long anyway.

Guy #3: Lives states away. We texted each other for several months, fell for each other, then he finally took a bus here to meet me in person and stay with me for a weekend. Luckily, we had chemistry, so we made our relationship official. We've been together for a year and 2 months now :) He's honestly the best match for me that I could ever imagine.

• It is scary that is my opinion. You have no idea who is behind the other computer unless you have met them personally or have video chatted... For all I know I could have been talking to a creep. that is why I have never tried it and I never will. I will not let anyone in my family use it.

• you are so right! I went on plenty of fish, I didn't meet anyone there but also I got a guy come up to me randomly saying " I know where you live I'm gonna rape you", I wasn't scared at all, I told him off back and said " oh really then come and get me I'm waiting", and I also said how I'm not scared of him and he has nothing better to do but scare girls, and I told him how ill kill him lol :). I was trying to be a psycho back. so no I don't really recommend it to anyone, better face to face.

• sounds like something id do I mean tell some one off with aditude

• i met my boyfreind online 14 months ago a week after we met he asked me to move in with him now were expecting a baby on the 21st! we've talked about marrige but I'm not really into the whole marrige thing. but I don't think online daiting is for everybody

• I'd rather meet someone in person, but I think there's something to be said for online dating in a world where everyone is so damn busy... It seems like a good way to meet new people outside of your group of friends, if you don't know where to start, and picking up at bars just isn't your thing. If it feels right for you, then go for it :)

• I dated a guy I was pretty close friends with almost 2 years ago... it lasted 4 1/2 months and then I couldn't stand the distance anymore. So I ended it. Thankfully, he understood and we just stayed friends. :)

So in other words, no, it doesn't work and isn't effective.

But those that are in the military make me always wonder how they do it. It just seems to painful to be away from someone that long and ever be able to hold them in your arms and all that. :/

• I'd say somewhat :D

• Of course

I know a dating site. My best friend Lucy find a new boyfriend there. And they will get married next mouth. Now I'm try to find my right guy there. Strongly recommend to you. “daterichsingles.com”.

• no! online dating is ridicolous imo. honestly you have to phycially be with each other to go out on a date so therefore online dating inst dating

• I wouldn't pay money for it, but I did put up an ad on craigslist and I got like 200 people reply back, and 2 of the guys I talked to we did meet up. One of the guys and I had a cuddle and spent the night but he was only 20 and I was 23 so I didn't think it would work out. The other guy was 23 and I was 23 but he was too into his career and it didn't work out.

I met my now guy through Facebook and we use to know each other from way back then in elementary school, so yes the internet did reconnect us.

• It's abysmal because so many people lie. Those of us who present ourselves accurately are at a clear disadvantage. It also leaves honest people open to stalkers who don't look anything like the person whose picture is posted on their profile.

What Guys Said 16

• May as well throw darts at names on the wall. You have the same odds. And for each success story, there's a horror story about someone who lies about themselves.

It's fun, though, to make up a person and then 'meet' people for dates, to watch them while they nervously wait for that six-foot hot blond. Especially if a real six foot blond shows up, so funny to watch them approach her and to watch her get angry.

• Usually I don't post a second answer to questions, but I had to based on something that just happened to me. This girl sent me a message on an online dating service, so I checked out her profile. Turns out she's a student in neuroscience, which is a great and really interesting subject of study (hell of a conversation piece too). However, she also felt the need to post a picture of herself in the lab holding a real cadaver's brain, that she was moments away from dissecting. One step way, way too far for me!

• I voted "C" because "hit or miss" is the exact phrase I would use to describe it. I know of people who have had tremendous success with it, and other people who were forced to obtain restraining orders...yes, I'm serious.

• It didn't work for me, I didn't get a single hit in a few months...

However, my mom had astounding success and is now married to someone she met through a dating service!

• not as much for guys as it is for girls

• seems creepy

• Maybe if you live in bigger cities, I haven't really looked into too much because whenever I search my city there are only a dozen or so women on there...

• ended uparrying my online honey

• i have tried alot. none worked

• i'm not down to date online.

flirt, coo, date? nnnnnna.

• 50/50. It works for some people, just not me.

• i dated a few girls that I met online

• Maybe if you can't meet people in real life. I personally wouldn't & especially sites like POF a well known 1 night stand pick-up site. Unless that's what your looking for at the time.

• I get ready dates so why to take any trouble ,lol

• 7 years ago

*Checks inbox of Match.com* - Empty

*Checks inbox of Eharmony* - Empty

*Checks inbox of Chemistry.com* - Empty

*Checks inbox of Plentyoffish.com* - Empty

*Checks inbox of Okcupid.com* - Empty

*Checks inbox of Yahoo! Personals* - Empty

--------------------

7 years later

*Checks inbox of Match.com* - Still Empty

*Checks inbox of Yahoo! Personals* - Empty (Merged with match.com)

*Checks inbox of Eharmony* - Still Empty

*Checks inbox of Chemistry.com* - Still Empty

*Checks inbox of Plentyoffish.com* - Still Empty (Now owned by owners of match.com)

*Checks inbox of Okcupid.com* - 2 girls contacted me first, yet they didn't reply after the first message.

--------------------

Gave up closed accounts after emptying them as the websites will keep your profile up to keep luring people to their sites if you don't empty them out completely.

--------------------

"Do you think Online Dating is Effective?" - Nope it was a **HUGE** waste of time and money. The hours spent writing profiles, reading up on what makes a good profile, messaging girls, filling in questionaires, rewriting profiles. There is a ratio on most of those sites of about 18 guys to 2 women. If you didn't know 18:2 is some really bad odds.

• As long as it's in-depth with its matching system/profiles, yes.