Would you date someone with the same name as an ex?

My ex-boyfriend broke my heart about a month ago and now there's another guy who has the same name (spelling and everything) that has asked me out on a date. He's the only guy that I actually have anything in common with that has asked me, so I want to say yes, but I'm afraid it might be weird. A couple of girls I know absolutely hate the name of some of their exes and literally scowl every time they hear them. So I'm curious if any of you have or would date someone with the same name?

• Sure
  • If I really liked them, I could get past it.
  • I'd try but it would be difficult.
  • Never, too weird!

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course,

1) Not denying myself time with a girl because she shares a name

2) Won't be awkward if you call her your ex's name... guess why?

3) You can compare them

• Hmm, comparing them is part of my problem. I want to try my best not to even though it's inevitable. lol

What Guys Said 8

• I'm not superstitious. Why not? maybe not so soon after a break up all the same, though. For one thing, you'll probably want to tell 'Alan' about the other 'Alan' and that would be awkward!

• Actually, the worst part is they already know each other. I met "Alan 2" through "Alan 1" about a year ago. He said he waited a month after "Alan 1" broke up with me out of respect for him. O.O

• OHHHH..no wonder you hesitate, They know each other. That is SO sticky. That's completely different and changes my take on it.

NO don't date him then!

• Yeah, they don't know each other well but they hang out with the same people. Of course, that's probably going to happen with almost everyone I try to date because we hang out together a lot still and have most of the same friends.

• Is it only the name that reminds you of the ex? Anything else? It might actually be benneficial to help you overcome this break up if he has the same name if there is some chemestry and a relationship is created from this. Replace the bad ____ with a good_____

• I suppose it isn't just the name. I have a pretty specific type of guy I'm typically attracted to and they are similar in a few ways, plus they know each other although not very well. But the 'good ____' has more things in common with me than the 'bad ___' ever did.

• it'd be hard, but I would if I really felt so strongly for them. But my ex... well... that's painful memories :|

• That's how I feel. I want to try because he's a really sweet and interesting guy, but I'm afraid that when I speak to him it's going to bring up painful memories.

• Thanks, that's a good point. He knows my ex so hopefully he'll understand when I bring it up.

• Ya, and at least you're being open and honest from the start. Hopefully he'll see that and appreciate it.

• yeah its the person your dating not the name they carry, I he make you happy go for it. so what if someone else hate the name... what if there the best person in the world to you with the same name...

• Thanks. I'm going to give it a try, I'm just worried that it's going to make me upset and seem stupid when I say his name while talking to him.

• Perhaps. I'm going to give it a chance at least.

• couldn't hurt it may be a little tough at first, but I honestly think it'll go away.

• Definitely, no chance of accidently calling her by the wrong name. :D

• lol. y the hell not? I can even give her that was going to give my ex.

haha. jk.

• The only name I can't handle is the name of my mother. Maybe that is strange, but that is just the way I am.

• At least I don't have to try and remember a new name during drunk sex. Winning.

What Girls Said 2