Dating a guy 5 years younger?

I'm dating a guy 5 years younger than me. I love him and he loves me back, but it's just to weird. I'm afraid about what people might think of me and I know my friends and family won't approve, yet I think he is close to perfection, even though sometimes I wish for him to be a little more mature. What should I do?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 4

What Guys Said 8

• I'm in the same boat as you... except he's four years younger. He's so perfect in every way... except it will never fly with my family because he is so young.

• if the only thing concerning you is age, then chill, cause it's not a big deal if everything else matches up

• Love has no boundaries. I feel you should never even try to stop yourself from loving someone, because you can't control it, who cares what anyone else thinks, just stay with the guy and enjoy your perfection=]

• Is he under 18? There shouldn't be that much to worry about unless he is under age right now. But if you love each other, then why are you worried about what others think? There are people out there dating others that ar 20-30+ years younger than them. 5 is not bad at all. You shouldn't be worrying about it.

• Selected as most helpful

I think unless he is under the age of 16 you are worrying about nothing, but you will have to deal with the maturity side to it, because women mature faster than men and as you have 5 years on him, he will always seem a little immature to you, ie computer games etc etc, but the age no longer has a problem with people, because in the 80's, it started to be OK to date women younger/older without people regarding this as a sin, so you go girl, and don't worry what people think, its your relationship, not there's, be happy and put your middle finger up to those who don't like it, be happy,x

• If you worry about what people think so much, will anything ever be accomplished for yourself? You won't be happy if this is the route you choose. I just had a wife that had 5 years on me. Not more mature, it has just ended. It is a little illusion that will remove what you feel. It is a lie, a trick. Can you look at him five years from now and feel the same or are you going to play mommy to him? This is reality, I would take it slow, build the right structure, talk and encourage foresight and planning, keep him focused on the road ahead. Just like driving, that is how you will get places.

• As long as he's 18 who gives a f***

• Love transcends everything, including this issue.

• Excellent

• Well if you truly enjoy the time you are spending with him, have fun and when you stop having fun and start getting in to arguments, leave. I'm a 18 y/o guy and I dated a girl that was 25 (7 year difference) and it was perfect. she was only shy at first(about the age thing) but after a few hours she completely forgot (or stoped caring)

• Nothing Went wrong, I still talk to her every once and a while through Facebook. the reason I don't still date her is because she is foreign and moved back to her country of origin. I can see how he might not take things seriously(I don't always) but it also depends on what you are talking about. eg if you start talking about taxes he might not want to and that is fine, you should just enjoy time with this other person and not worry about serious things just relax and use them as your "safe place"

• What went wrong? Did she deal w/it? 7 years seems like a lot, but then again I thought 5yrs was never happening 2 me. I do enjoy this time w/this guy, but sometimes he makes me re evaluate our relationship because he doesn't take everything seriously and I'm a very serious person (at least I'm serious about important things, but he just tend to joke about them).

• There's no problem with that at all. In fact, I love to date older girls because at least they are somewhat emotionally stable. But I'm 24 and not looking to get married anytime soon, so it's not really an option.

• get the f*** over it! unless he's a teenager, there is no big deal

• Well he is over the age of consent, but he is not 21 yet, so no adult here either.

• Does he look younger than you? Because if he doesn't you don't have to tell others his age. If you feel it's right and if you both truly and genuinely love each other then go for it, I see nothing wrong.

However, personally, I wouldn't date a girl 5 years older than me.

• Yeah I realize your parents won't condone it but do you think they will press you to leave him?

As for your pals, don't bother :D

• Well he doesn't look his age, but I believe he does look younger than me (yet time will heal that, right?). Anyway, I never looked for this, it just happened. I you asked me before him, I would've said that I don't date younger guys... but I fell in love with this "friend."

My parents knew him before me, so they know his age... :/ It will be weird when they find out we are dating, I'm sure they won't approve, yet He do me right and I'm not ready to give him up.