Thoughts on dating an older man?

There's a guy that I have come to like, a lot. We have similar interests...we both love being outdoors, kayaking, hiking, etc; we both like the same music; we both have the same kind of energy, we're positive and love to laugh, and we have a zest for life and enjoy being active. The list goes on. I could listen to his stories for hours, and whenever I see him I get the biggest, goofiest smile, and I feel like the weight of all the day's stress has been lifted off my shoulders. You know how it goes.

I would like to try to pursue a relationship with him, but the problem is that he's ten years older than me. I'm still in college and he has a steady career. In five years or so, once I've been out in the real world for a while, I feel like that age difference won't matter as much, but right now I worry that it does. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts or advice? Guys, would you even consider a serious relationship with a twenty year-old when/if you were thirty?

By the way, I've known him for a while. When we first met he was 28. And he turned 30 last week.

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh yeah. I was 30 and dated a 19 year old. Dating an older man for you is probably better because an older man is going to be tried and tested. You are going to have a track record of him that you can look back on and see where he is now. If he's got a good job, and he's doing well, you can probably expect him to continue to do well. If you date some 23 year old guy who is fresh out of college, you don't know what will happen...the guy has no track record like an 30 - something year old man. That's why I never could understand why young girls marry young guys. Shouldn't at least one of them have some experience in the real world? I think a lot of young girls marry these young guys and the guy turns out to be a dud and then they have to get divorced because the guy never reaches his potential or the guy finds out later that he never wanted to be married. An older man is going to know much about what he really wants out of life. What should you do? Can you keep going to college and still make lots of time for him? If so, do it. Maybe you could juggle the two things. You need to keep seeing him, though or he'll lose interest.

What Guys Said 1

• age is a number my friend, fallow your gut and most importantly your heart. People might disagree or disapprove, don't let it stop you if its what you want in life!

What Girls Said 1

• I've currently dating a man 8 years older :) he is probably the most awesome person I know and we were friends for years prior to us dating. I don't think the age difference is huge, 10 years in my opinion is about the oldest you should go at your age. But when it comes down to it if you really like him go for it and enjoy it. You sound like you have a really high opinion of him :)