Does online dating work?

i'm considering setting up an account on the plenty of fish dating website. I'm not crazy about going to bars or clubs to meet people and other than school I haven't found very many occasions to be social. so, I'm wondering if anyone has had good experiences with online dating? any pros or cons?

Most Helpful Guy

• it depends on your definitition of "work". After my divorce I tried the online dating thing. I met a number of ladies and discovered that almost all of them used a photo that did not accurately depcit what they really look like and many of them were ready to rush into a relationship instead of taking their time. On the flip side I have several female friends on POF and they're experinces all seem to be pretty horrible. They'll meet a guy, go on a few dates, really start to fall for him and then once the guy sleeps with her (or realizes that she isn't going to sleep with him quickly) the guy disappears, or worse keeps dating her while looking for other women on POF.

So if you are looking to meet a lot of people and have casual sex, POF is great. If you are looking for a serious long lasting relationship... well, no one I know has had much luck with that on POF.

What Guys Said 6

• I've been on plenty of fish and it ultimately made me very angry. I wouldn't do it. You'll become very jaded. The people on there are such rejects, both men and women. You need to find some other way. Work on yourself for a while. Lose weight (if you need it ). I don't know. Join some kind of hobby club. Join the local softball team or whatever if there is one. If you are in college, join an intramural sport. Join a gym. You'll find much more quality people there.

• I see what you're saying about joining clubs, friends have suggested that to me too but I'm a quiet person and I'm afraid that even in situations like that my personality might not be bold enough so I figured the one on one of online dating would work but it still seems tricky.

• If you are a girlie girl, just do your girlie thing. Nothing wrong with that. You can be girlie in the gym or playing a sport. Men will find it very endearing. Go to a yoga class and meet some women. Maybe the women can help hook you up with a guy. Go to the library and read a book and smile at the guys who are there. YOu'll definitely find good men in a library !

• Online dating is better than going to bars, because you can see if people have deal-breakers for you before you ever meet them. I had a girlfriend from match.com, but I have not had any dates from other sites yet. I would try okcupid.com. Also, geeksdreamgirl.com has a lot of profile advice that applies to both men and women.

link

• It can. I started dating online the unconventional way. From a random website. Not a website made for hooking up couples, just a random website like Facebook. Although it wasn't Facebook. I don't suggest you try and get one off of online dating, its more or less of a, if it happens it happens kinda thing.

• I had my profile on OkCupid, and a phenomenal gal found me there. Now I'm here and heartbroken, but that wasn't the fault of the dating website.

• Honestly, anywhere but POF. Nothing but sluts, 1 night stands & idiots on that 1. I would never have anything to do once I;ve known they are on there.

• I met a girl online who happens to go to the same university as me, and is in the same program. We've been chatting online for almost 2 months now. Still haven't met though, but I'm sure we will when school starts.

It depends. Online dating is just another medium of meeting people. The chance of you meeting someone that is right for you is probably the same as a bar. I would give it a try. I did because I was shy.

• Yeah, I'm a little shy when it comes to the opposite gender. I'm ultimately intimidated by rejection and that I won't measure up to what the guy is looking for.

• Yeah, plus online dating can be good for shy girls because it's usually the guy who makes first contact, and you both know that you're single and looking. So you don't have to worry about a guy not wanting a relationship.

What Girls Said 2

• eHarmony worked for me. I didn't subscribe. I just put my fb profile link in my info and that's where I talked to the guys. I'm a full time grad student and have a full time job. I hate the college bar scene in my town as far as meeting guys. I was ready for a serious relationship and thought I cld be more efficient. The first guy I met up with was what I've been trying to find in a boyfriend and we have been together for 5 months.

• I know a dating site. My best friend Lucy find a new boyfriend there. And they will get married next mouth.. Strongly recommend to you. “daterichsingles.com”. Good luck. ^_^