What should I talk about on a first date?

So I've met this guy, and we're going on our first date next week. I think he's really cute, sort of geeky in a totally sweet way, and I really want this to work out, but there is one problem.. The first time we met he was sort of shy and at times when we ran out of things to talk about there was this awkward silence. I don't want that to happen again. Therefore, I need topics! And lots of them!

HELP ME!

Most Helpful Guy

• I had the same issue when it came to this. Problem was I'd be so worried about what I'm going to talk about next I really wasn't following the conversation which in turn made what could have been a conversation into a series of questions and statements. One thing I realized which helped immensely was that the conversation is between TWO people, no person is directly responsible for the silence. What I'm trying to get at here is that when (Its no "if" its bound to happen) one of these silence occurs instead of you yourself worrying about what the next topic of discussion is let him think of something. Because as shy as he is, it doesn't mean his lips are permanently sealed and his brain shut off.

The reason I didn't list topics of discussion is that I believe there is no such things as running out of topics, it is the worrying itself that's mentally short changing you, cutting off your immense knowledge and creativity. The worrying itself is paralyzing, if you spend the rest of your time leading up to seeing him again writing lists of discussion topics, your gonna sit down in front of him and be back at square one with the paralyzing sense of worry. A good analogy I guess you could say is studying like crazy for a test and then going blank when you sit down.

So I guess my advice would be whenever this situation occurs, just relax, and remind yourself that a conversation is a two way street. Because the last thing you want, especially with a shy guy is that if you start looking nervous or ancy he's gonna think that he makes you uncomfortable, and that may not register as a good thing. So just do your best to be relaxed even if your screaming on the inside. Because sometimes silence says more then chatting your brains out ever could.

Oh! If your gung-ho set on making a list of things to talk about, find out one of his geeky interests, do alittle research, and surprise him with your knowledge. He will sh*t, hopefully not literally, good luck!

What Guys Said 3

• nice shoes where u'd get them,

do you have any inventions you like to make.

oh really what are they.

well what about your school, what do you want to do in the future.

you kinda look like spiderman!

do you like ps3 or xbox or pc (he will answer this one for sure)

How old were you when you had your first kiss?

How many girlfriends have you had?

What are your pet peeves?

What kind of girl do you usually like / What's your 'type' ?

What do you hate most about the opposite gender? Love?

Do you have any allergies?

What kind of music do you like?

Are you the jealous type?

Do you usually get dumped or do the dumping?

Are you sensitive?

What do you want to do after high school?

Where is your favorite place in the world?

How far have you 'gone'?

What are your thoughts on gay marriage?

What do you think happens after you die?

What is your ideal perfect date?

How long was your longest relationship?

How short was your shortest relationship?

Have you ever cheated on a girl?

Have you ever been cheated on?

Do you have a better relationship with your mom or dad?

What's the longest amount of time you have gone without showering?

Have you ever been to a concert?

What is your favorite type of food?

What do you like on your sammiches?

Do you have any regrets?

Do you hate anyone?

What was your first impression of me?

How do you usually celebrate your birthday?

Who was the last person you kissed?

How tall are you?

What do you want to do for a living?

Do you like cats or dogs?

What are you most proud of?

Have you ever cried during a movie?

What is the stupidest thing you have ever done?

Have you ever been in trouble with the law?

Do you have any weird fetishes?

Are you a boobs or ass guy?

Do you know how to do laundry?

Do you want children later in life?

• Simple stuff. Keep it really light. Try to avoid deep conversations and try not to reveal too many details about your stuff. As bad as it sounds, this actually keeps conversations more interesting because us guys can ask more questions and the conversations last longer.

• do not bring up any of your exe's

What Girls Said 2

• ok...well...what do you have in common?

What is he into? what are you into? Being genuinely interested in him will make all the difference in life. :)

Maybe, just brainstorm some good conversation starters or ice breakers...when the awkward silence comes, just go with it. There's not much you can really do about it, aside from continuing on.

For example:

-What do you do on the weekends?

-Do you have any unusual skills or hobbies?

-What's been your best summer experience?

-Where's the best place you've taken a vacation?

-What's your dream for your career?

etc. etc. Just think of normal questions that you wouldn't mind also answering and then see how it rolls! :) Also, think of good follow-up questions...for example:

You: What do you usually do on the weekends?

Him: I usually just hang out with friends and see movies with them. Sometimes I play hockey or basketball.

With something like this, he's given you a tiny bit of information that you can take in many different directions... For example:

You: Where do you play hockey?

OR

You: Where are your friends from? How do you know them?

Just be interested in him, keep asking questions and try to find out more about the info he gives you, and be willing for the same question to be bounced back to you. :)

Hope this helped :)

• Prepare a list in advance, questions about summer, work, movies, books, music, art, pets, family