Dating a younger guy? is it wrong?

I am gonna be 20 next month and this guy turned 18 this month...and I think he is super cute and he's really such a sweetheart and super good to me...plus I look younger than my age and he looks older than his age...but I am wondering is it wrong to date him? I just don't wanna feel awkward if I ever say yes to being his girlfriend , when I have to say our ages ...what do you guys think about a girl dating a younger guy?

Most Helpful Girl

• The age gap between you is not a very large one. My concern would be his level of maturity. My background in developmental psychology tells me that guys tend to take longer to mature both physically and emotionally than girls. However, there are always exceptions to the rules, and on an individual basis, this guy could possibly be quite mature and capable of having a healthy relationship with someone a bit older than himself.

Dating someone does not mean that you are bound to this guy forever. It is a way to get to know one another and discover whether or not you are compatible romantically. If you are interested in this guy, I think you should definitely go out on some casual dates; maybe out for a movie or lunch. This will allow you to gauge whether or not he is mature enough for a committed relationship, whether or not you could actually get along as a couple, etc.

I think one of the posters below, "themastaplan", raises an important point: he is at the age where many people are attempting to solidify their identity - decide "who they are" so to speak. This can be a confusing time and may result in him bouncing back and forth between wanting a relationship and wanting to be single. He may decide to go to college far away as well, creating strain in the relationship or severing it altogether. However, this is really only an issue if you find yourself becoming really involved and committed with this guy; just going out for some casual dates is perfectly fine. You are both young and exploring romantic possibilities; it is important for you to date people to find out what kind of person you are compatible with, what works and what doesn't. It's a crucial part in defining yourself as an individual, as well as defining yourself as part of a unit.

So long story short: Go out with him if you like him! :)

• yea he is mature for his age that's why I consider him a possibility :) true about what "themastaplan" had said...but I am from trinidad and its a small country so he's not moving away I know that forsure...and yea we are just dating...i love your advice it's so true =]

• Thank you, I hope it helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions/concerns. I'm a Psychology and Sociology major who has researched a great deal on this topic, so I'd love to be able to help others in any way I can. :)

What Guys Said 5

• its not wrong to date him at all

just remember he's 18, which means he has college ahead of him and a lot of uncertanties...just be careful with your emotions ...in 2 years he could transfer across the nation, in 4 years he could move to another country. You never know, but I'd say take the chanec if you two like each other - life just comes to you, you shouldn't plan anything out, just take chances!

• true...i'm from trinidad it's a small country so lol...but yea he's mature for his age and he's just an honest loving sweetheart, I'm going on an official date with I'm tomorrow...eeeeep.first younger guy I have ever dated ahh lol

• lol you'll be fine! just remember, you're older than him, so he'll be way more nervous than you will be

• yeaaa I knw that forsure lol

• I believe the rule is, if you date a guy 2 years younger that's fine, 5 years younger you're a cradle-robber, 10 years younger you're a sugar momma, and 15+ years you're ostracized or even criminalized.

Just kidding, it's fine. Well, unless you yourself are embarrassed or feel awkward, as you say. Then maybe hold off or ask some questions of yourself.

• It isn't wrong, as it isn't uncommon in a relationship for the gal to be older than the guy. What matters is the love between them. After all, love transcends everything, including this issue.

• So long as he's legal there's noting wrong with it.

• No y would it be guys date younger girls all the time so y would it be defiant if an older girl dated a young guy so if you like him and he like you go for it.

What Girls Said 6

• It's not wrong. Why should women always date older men.

• It's not wrong to date a younger than you. Do whatever makes you happy. Personally, I wouldn't date a guy younger than me.

• you know there is so much crap about this given to girls I mean there is a similar question by a guy who got dumped for the same. I mean if you like him and he likes you, and you are ready to deal with those odd looks some close-minded people might give you go for it.

• He's legal! That's all that matter & how me makes you feel! Good luck chica! :P *booty bump*

• Girl, if he's legal, I say go for it :)

• it isn't wrong. I don't date younger guys, but that's just me. go for what you want.