Dating your best friend's older brother? I would really appreciate some opinions

What is your opinion on dating your best friend's older brother? I know many people say it's taboo, but I know plenty of people who met their spouse that way.

let me back up. I kind of have a BIG crush on my best friend's brother. We text all the time, and we get along really well. My friend and I hang out with him and his friend all the time. Lately he's been telling me that he wants a girlfriend, but every time I try to subtly hint that he should ask me out, he backs off. I'm kind of getting mixed signals.

but back to my original question, would it be completely horrible of me to date my best friend's older brother? (advice on the middle paragraph would aso be appreciated.)

Most Helpful Girl

• No personally I wouldn't count that as a taboo :) I think its perfectly fine ^_^ sure it may be a bit awkward at first, but I've heard instances of it going well :)

As for the middle part, if he suggests to you he wants a girlfriend, I'd say there's a chance he likes you :D though the ignoring bit seems odd behavior ...unless he's shy that is :P

What Guys Said 3

• No, your best friend's older brother is not off limits, but it might change the relationship between you and your friend if the fling or relationship with the older brother goes sour.

• Be selfish, their has to be a point where you just stop being so caring to everyone elses needs and answer to yours, life is about the pursuit of happiness, you deserve to be happy, if your friend disapproves then she is being selfish if she was a good person she would be happy for both of you

• well if your best friend actually likes you and is just being the nice guy(aka not showing any more than platonic interest) he's going to feel resentment and you'll ruin the friendship...

What Girls Said 2

• Tell him how you feel. I think you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I don't think it is taboo or at all horrible. I am sure your best friend would be pleased, but want you to treat him. Well. Talk to him, but not her, as this is something between you and him. Good luck. The worst that can happen is that he does not fancy you back.

• Well does he flirt with you in person? It could be a little uncomfortable for him because you are his little sisters bestie, but I think he could be interested if he is telling you he wants a girlfriend, like why else would be saying that to you? See the thing is if you guys had a bad break up Ur friend would have to be in the middle of it. If you want to take the chance knowing there is risks of that then I say go for it.