Is there any way to tell a date from just hanging out?

So, my friend and I have been hanging out a lot lately, and it usually goes like this: He asks to go to the movies, or out for lunch, or for me to come over so he can cook for me. And I always do because I like hanging out with him!

However, my friend recently told me that what we're doing sounds more like going on dates. It's true he does try to pay, and usually I have to fight him on it. But I'd hardly call that reason enough, right?

So tell me, what is the difference between going on a date and just hanging out?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think this can be a thousand times more tricky to discern for girls. Why? Well I think it's cause guys and girls have very different definitions of friends. I have never once and doubt I will ever hear a guy friend say "hey man lets go out to dinner and ill pay" or "Hey come over ill make something to eat for the both us". However when a girl hears that from a guy they almost always think things like "oh he's so thoughtful and a good friend" or think he's just being a gentleman.

I'm not calling you a gold digger or anything but if a friend, guy or girl asked me to hangout and they'd pay I'd be like hell yeah count me in.

If a guy tries and does pay then in his mind it's a "date". I personally have never asked any of my friend girls to hangout 1 on 1 so this type of thing is new to me and if I did wan't to do nothing but hangout with them I wouldn't: pay for them, probably wouldn't pick them up, talk to them about their personal life, or expect too many similar "hangouts" like that in the future cause then they'll get confused and start thinking "wait so are these dates or are we just hanging out".

If you don't see him in that way (someone your romantically interested in) you should probably stop "hanging out" with him at least in 1 on 1 scenarios, because he could be thinking it will eventually lead to a relationship when all you see him as is a friend.

What Guys Said 4

• Dating is at the least an exploratory step towards a 'more then friends' relationship.

If he had any game, he'd be flirting, touching you casually etc. You'd know it was a date.

He doesn't, so he is using the 'i have no backbone' method of letting you know its a date.

I.e., trying to pay.

You don't pay for your friends.

• Is he trying to hook up with you? If he doesn't plan on making a move, then it's just friends hanging out.

• Sounds like all of that leans more towards dating. Hanging out I usually imagine as more relaxed i.e. movies at home, quick meals/ snacks in the kitchen.

• hanging out is if both of you pay and date is if he pays

What Girls Said 1

• It is hard for guys and girls to be friends without having somewhat of a connection..So though it may not seem like it to you, it is something that a lot of couples would do. But if he is your friend and you both are enjoying that time, then I wouldn't worry about it.