Dating websites i.e. eHarmony, Match, or even the free ones such as Plenty of Fish, YES or NO?

I know its 2011 and online dating is more common than 10+ years ago but who is really okay with admitting to joining or wanting to do it? Does it make you feel or seem like you're desperate or like you're not good enough to find someone the old fashion way? Do you feel like paying a company to help you find your mate is pathetic or okay?

I'm the type that would NEVER want to admit to my family if I ever met someone online. Call me old fashioned but I am the one who would feel like a loser if I had to pay a website to find someone to date. It is very hard to meet someone these days though and I will admit I did join Plenty of Fish BUT the guy selection is pretty bad!

What are your opinions of these websites?

• I'd join a free dating website
  • I'd join a paid website
  • I'd join any dating website
  • I'd NEVER join a dating website
  • I would possibly join a dating website.

Most Helpful Guy

• Been a member of OK cupid and plenty of fish. Got a few phone numbers but most of the girls I've talked to were weird. It's free. Pay for what you get. Never arranged a date.

Also, people on dating websites base their impressions heavily on your physical appearance. It places the importance of knowing someone on something they cannot control.

It's better to meet people through social avenues like church or volunteer activities. At least at that point you already have something in common

What Guys Said 13

• i joined zoosk a while back just to bugger around and see what it's all about. only gone on there two or three times. I would feel pretty damn looserish if that was my only way of getting a woman. That being said I know some people who go together on eharmony, got married and are actually a good couple. Still though, I'd feel pretty sad if that was my only venue for a relationship. I think I may allow myself to do that if I was 30+ and still had as much miserable luck with females as I do now, but that doesn't seem entirely likely so I suppose we'll see.

• A friend met his girlfriend that he lives with on OkCupid...and the past 3 girls he met were OK too...

I probably would pay if I were desperate, but I am planning to join OkCupid...after I loose 20 lbs and and put a few grand in my mouth (dental)...

Its harder to find people in public...unless your still in school...

People who go to church don't date.

People who go to bars/clubs are very bad news.

Outside of that its very difficult to meet people.

Website is the easiest...people looking for people...

• I don't think any girl should feel ashamed about meeting someone online.

Why shut out your options instead of opening them?

• I'd use one but I'm 18 and I'm pretty sure everyone who uses those sites is like nearly 30... and fat and ugly.

• D

done it before...Heck of a drama :D

never again, never again.

• thinking of quittig

• I joined one just for free for fun and it's kind of lame.

• might join a free on just to do research haha

• Forget 'em. I'll do it the old way.

• A. I have and never will again.

• I joined a couple free dating sites when I got sick about a month ago because I couldn't go out to meet people. I thought it was really stupid at first but I met this amazing girl and we have gone on three amazing dates and we are definitely going on more. I don't see how it couldn't turn into a relationship with the amount of fun we've had together and now it's just going to be a matter of time. So I think it is worth it. But no, I would not admit meeting her online. We're going to make up a story of how we met :P

• I was on OkCupid for quite a few years, and I met someone absolutely amazing there. The problem came with one particular factor between our lives that was outside our control and put the relationship on a path to failure. Other than that though, it was the most amazing relationship I've ever had in my life, especially considering compatibility. I have never met anyone close to that through any of my friend or work.

• i tried they dating thing, in fact I tried the free dating website and I met someone who said that she was a model. I knew that wasn't right because she asked for money to get back home. I know models have plenty of money they don't need money to get home

• She must be a struggling one lol

• yea but still, I haven't heard anything back from her in like a month

What Girls Said 7

• I have been using online dating sites for several years on an off. I have met many interesting people and I have had two relationships that all beg cuan by finding the person online. I think they can be a very useful tool. Because it introduces you to people who you wouldn't already meet.

I don't think it's being desperate either, because you can use it in conjunction with other methods of meeting people. It's smart because you are opening yourself up to more possible partners.

I only use the free one's though. I think for some maybe it's worth it to pay, but for most a free website is fine. It's all in how much time and effort you are willing to put in. Since I don't really go out much, and I find it hard to find people who I have anything in common with, I used mainly online. I lived in a small town so outings would always bring me to the same people. So to open up more opportunities I started doing online dating. And I really do like it.

I do agree that the selection can be pretty sparse. A lot of people do not take the sites seriously. That is why some people prefer pay dating sites. It shows they are more serious and actually want to meet someone. But you can have some luck on free ones as well. Just don't be shy to message a tons of people. But I understand what you mean, my parents are very old fashioned and wary of the internet, and so I have a hard time telling them how I met my current boyfriend. They just don't understand :P But once they meet him they will like him, he's an amazing person, and very respectable.

• I wouldn't join any of these websites, I don't see it as a bad thing, it's not like that at all, I just don't believe that's the right way to start a relationship or at least with me it doesn't work. I guess I just would never completely trust the person and that's exactly the worst beginning.

As for telling people where I met someone it does sound weird and loser-like, I must agree with you, guess I'm sort of old fashioned in that sense as well.

• In my opinion, the old fashioned way is pretty outdated. I am a writer on bestdatingwebsitesreviews.com, and I think that dating websites are a better way to find someone who you can be in a serious relationship with than just by looking for them at bars or whatever. When you're at a bar people don't have their interests and what they're looking for written on their forehead, why not go somewhere where it is that clear? Forget all the games of old school dating. And don't feel embarrassed to tell your family about finding someone on a dating site. It's really a common thing now. Good luck!

• do dating sites work... for men? I bet they work for women, but for men? Like, is it me just a total loser that I can't get any or what?

• At this time in my life I don't feel like I would join one of those sites. My friends have. My friend met her husband on eharmony and she promotes it.

• I admit to joining a couple of them and have even told me friends. Family-they probably won't give it a second thought since they're all over the online thing;)

• i joiuned a free dating site and it totally worked out for the best. met this amazing guy and am now in a serious relationship with him. don't know what I would have done without it :)

• I met my boyfriend on a free dating site.. And my uncle met his girlfriend there too so I don't have a problem with it. I did have to "kiss a lot of frogs" first before I met my boyfriend tho. We are super compatible though...that's what's nice about those sites because you can get right down to the nitty gritty stuff and weed out the ones that you wouldn't have chemistry with

• I have not admitted to anyone that that's where we met. I tell people we met at a party. This is something I'm not comfortable disclosing to just anyone cause it does make me sound like I was desperate. Honestly I was just on there for fun and to see what I could find. Curiosity mostly. I did want a boyfriend too but I wasn't like, super desperate. He didn't even live near me when he first messaged me and I almost wrote him off

• So how long was it before you or he moved closer?

• a freakin year