Could you date/marry someone of a different religion?

Im really open-minded and accepting about that stuff so I think I could. as long as it wasn't like devil-worship I think I could handle it. As long as they werent trying to force me to follow them it would be all good. Do you think you would be able too?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 14

• It depends :P I couldn't marry a fanatic of ANY religion. I couldn't marry a guy who wanted to convert me. I am what I am and if I want to do something I'll do it on my own.

Otherwise, yes. My boyfriend is Catholic and while I was steered towards Catholicism growing up, it's not something I identify with or follow. I'm fine with whatever :)

• if they were a nice devil worshiper then maybe we could get along :P

But yeah I would date or marry regardless of religion/faith etc.

If they told me: you can't wear that dear, honey bunches no this on this day, sweet stuff BOW TO ME!

Then no but if they were chill about me and my doings then we would live in bliss.

• Yup. When they try to convert me or control me it's a bit strange.

• Yeah, what religion did that person adhere to?

Oh fanatics

• No, I don't think I could.

Why? because when we have kids, there will be a huge issue on how to bring them up and of course I would want to bring my kids up to my faith. It will be too much of a big deal. Why put myself and my partner through that so that is why I would want to marry someone who believes in the same things as I do.

• Yes that's understandable

• Wouldn't it be better to leave it up to your kids to decide what they want to believe in, rather than forcing them to believe in whatever you do? :S

• I'm not going to FORCE them to believe in anything. They can believe what they want but that's not going to stop me from teaching them my faith. At the end of the day, they get extra knowledge about different faiths.

• I don't think I could, I'm not a fanatic or anything but my religion is important to me and I want someone who believes the same thing as I do. And if we were to get married and have kids I'm not going to discuss which religion they should be raised in, which holidays to celebrate, or why daddy and mommy believe two different (most like opposite) things

• It depends, I will not date/marry anyone that shoves their religion down people's throats or seems to cast judgements on people. I hate people that try to make themselves look good and the other person to look and feel like they are a horrible person. My family is very religious, but they don't look down or shun people because of their sexuality, race, life story etc, ya know? I call my family the liberal religious type.

To be honest I have too much going on in my life to be worried about other' peole and their religious journey's. I wish them type of people would shut up and stop wasting their time and breathe making someone feel bad and use their gifts and talents at a soup kitchen or at hospice ya know?

• If the religion has useless rules.

Then no.

Unless the person is free willed and doesn't care about the etc..from his religion.

• yes I would

• I could do both, but if we were gonna get married we'd have to lay down some ground rules.

• What kind of ground rules?

• Well, they shouldn't expect me to follow whatever religious tradition they have (that includes the wedding ceremony) and if we have children, they shouldn't present their religion to our kids as the ultimate truth.

But I'm an atheist so no religious person would every marry me.

• Ok. Makes sense

• Yeah, sure.

• i've dated people of different religions, but I have to marry a Muslim guy.

• See I don't want that limiting factor. :\

• o.O WOW. your father sounds amazing... I'm totally in awe of what he went through and what he accomplished...that's... I can't even describe. wow. thanks so much for sharing that with me... I'll be referring back to it whenever I feel like I can't do something or whenever I think I can't hold onto something that's important to me. :)

• Nope. Be ye not unequally yoked. Says the bible:)

• Date/marry = NO.

Be friends = Yes,thats if he isn't an azzhole.

• I dated a Muslim for 9 months and at the time, I thought I could convert and marry him. Our differences eventually reared its ugly head and because of his beliefs as a Muslim man I could never be what he expected me to be as a Muslim wife. It's not me, not what I believe in and I grew to resent that. He's not an accurate representation of the Muslim male in that he believed that he can have as many girls as he want just because he was trying to help them. When we were broken up, I had asked him to give me time to move on & that he not see another girl for awhile & the a**hole had the nerve to ask me to give him a blowjob because I was keeping him from satisfying a human urge (seriously, he's a major d*ckhead).

I probably won't date another Muslim again in my life but I am open to other religions though.

• i think love conquers everything and a petty thing like religion shouldn't come in the way were all the same species dammnit were all animals I don't know why people make religion a dividing fence between people.

i fell in love with a guy who is not of my religion and wanted to marry him, but apparently his religion didn't approve and he was a coward to be with me. I hope he's happy and finds what he's looking for in life.

What Guys Said 12

• I'm an atheist and even though I'd like to marry the same I could be with someone that was just religious on holidays

• At least your open to some things. There's people that wouldn't even allow that.

• I an't disregard people just for religion,

in America religion is more crazy but in the UK the majority of people are more mellow about it so it wouldn't really be much of a problem

as for kids, she can tell them about her religion and I'll tell them when they're older why I don't believe and they can make the choice

• Marry... most likely no but but there is a slim chance I would be open to it. Just not a bitter fundamental atheist, if I wasn't marrying another Christian I'd rather it be a girl of another religion

• every1 can do it

but it would be a hell lot of a mess when you people would have kids

• 'course, religion shouldn't have anything to do with it unless they try to shove it down your throat... and define "devil worship" because there is more than one devil depending upon the religion you are talking about, and contrary to popular belief satanism does not worship the christian devil.

the only things that pisses me off about religions is when people try to make sure everyone is of the same religion (strangely enough I only see that happen with different branches of the christian religion, not any others) and when people go with the popular belief about a religion and don't do the proper research about what they worship/believe, any other thing I don't think really matters no matter what its about

• I'm a Catholic myself. I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore catholic but I attend weekly. I don't try to convert anyone. I don't look down on any religions or anything. I would consider a satanic religion any one that advocates having freedom to do whatever you want (including lie, cheat, steal) to achieve pleasure

• if I remember correctly the satanic religion (the actual one not the one people claim to be apart of when they say they warship the christian devil) does not believe in doing anything like that to achieve pleasure, my brother is actually someone of the satanic religion and from the way he interprets the satanic bible that is not what they do at all... quite the contrary actually if I remember correctly... I'm curious now so I'm probably going to end up commandeering it to find out lol

• I have little choice in the matter. Since Atheist (All types of Atheist) make up roughly 2% of America's population. Not to mention, most of are male. Add to the fact of finding a girl who I'm compatible with and in my age range. Finally race issues within her family I may have to deal with. That being said, I'll date someone of another religion.

• yea totally

• Sure why not.. What the most important is LOVE.. When you love someone you gonna fight to get him or her till the end

• Yea but it would be kinda hard

• Date? Yes

Marry? Probably not. Just because it would probably conflict so much with personal and family values and then have disagreements about raising children that cause resentment.

• Why date someone you wouldn't marry? Are you a casual dater?

• Casual dating is a falsehood. Few people are actually okay with it. Most people latch onto the first person that kinda likes them back even if they aren't a great match. Even when a girl says she is okay with casually dating she will jump into a committed relationship with the first guy that is willing.

So no, I don't casually date much, usually its a couple dates or whatever over a few weeks to figure out if I want a relationship with that girl, if not I move on, no time wasted, no brkn hrts

• Ok. Thanks for explaining.

• It would really depend on the religion for me.

• Yes. And like you, as long as it wasn't devil worshipping...

• Yes, I can date and marry someone of a different religion. I'm totally fine with them choosing to worship however they want to. If they need a ride to church, temple, or the mosque I'll gladly take them, so long as they don't expect me to join them. I'm totally tolerant of whatever religion someone chooses, and expect any partner of mine to treat me just the same. When it comes to my children, I would encourage them to read up on all of the worlds religions to understand people better, how they think, and the values they claim to hold dear. It will be my children's choice to worship however they want to or to not worship at all if that is their path in life. On my bookshelves I will likely keep a text from each religion as well as other philosophical materials for them to explore if they so choose.