How important is a first date?

Do you think a bad first date is a very bad sign? Or could you blow it off as nerves or just some expected awkwardness and it's not a big deal.

Or do you not put any pressure on a first date and almost always follow-up with a second date to make sure the first wasn't a fluke (in one way or another- that it went really, great chemistry, etc. well or really bad, nothing to talk about, no kiss/hug)?

Just curious. ^_^

Most Helpful Guy

• Not terribly, truth be told. If I'm going to bother asking a girl on a date at all it's going to be because I'm into her. First date won't change that unless she's a total disaster. So it's mostly about me establishing enough attraction with her that she wants a second date.

I think since guys are usually the ones doing the asking, you can be pretty sure that if you've been asked on a first date you will get passed on to the second date. If it's a set up then it's not as clear. So the evaluative part of the date is mostly done by girls.

What Guys Said 5

• It depends on what you mean by "bad". A first date, in my opinion, is for getting comfortable around and learning about the other person (that is if you just recently met), so I wouldn't be under a terrible amount of pressure.

• If the first date is bad, then why the possible other dates could be any better?

You don't know each other - so much to talk about yourselves!

And it's a fresh chemistry!

Some nervousness is totally acceptable though.

And if that doesn't make it work, then it's doomed to fail!

• I'd say the second date is more important. Deciding on someone with only a first date is too fast unless there is something blatantly obvious that makes you not like them of course.

• ive never dated but if girls put THAT much pressure on the first date then I'm screwed

• Haha Both.

What Girls Said 1

• the one date I've been on was only one date because I didn't enjoy myself at all, didn't laugh, felt like I was being babysat ect. I also thought he was falling and I didn't want to waste anymore of his time or money.