Meeting an online date in person, opinions?

I've been emailing this guy for quite a while, and recently we switched to im. We both really want to meet each other. I told him we could meet at the bookstore cafe, that way my friends could stalk me in case he turns out to be a wierdo. (he was very understanding of this). I think this is a good idea, my friends can save me if he's a serial killer/rapist, which I'm nearly positive he isn't at this point. (but that 1% tells me to be careful) I want to meet him, so any opinions, success/horror stories about meeting online dates would be helpful. Thank you!


0|0
2|3

Most Helpful Girl

  • I've met many people online. I have been online dating on and off for a while. The best thing to do is to meet in a public place, as you are planning to. Telling your friends is also good in case anything happens. It is a little scary the first time you meet anyone online, but the best thing to do is have a plan. Know what you are going to do if he isn't who he says he is, or if he makes you feel uncomfortable. Get out and just leave, make an excuse to go to the washroom and just never come back :P I know that sounds rude, but it happens and he will move on.

    Have an idea what kinds of questions you want to ask and what you want to talk to about and do during the date. I usually meet people in cafes or other public places, they work well :) It's a good choice.

    Just make sure your friends do not interrupt the date or make it hard for you to talk to him by texting you their thoughts about him all the time. I know friends can be kind of intrusive, especially if they are against online dating or think it's weird. :P I have been through that a lot. Hopefully they understand and support your decision.

    I meet my current boyfriend online and things are going great :) We met on New Years, we meant to meet before but we were both too busy. So he met me then down at the celebration downtown. We both went for a coffee and hot chocolate and then counted down. It was really nice, he also drove me to see the holiday lights around my neighbourhood :) 11 months later we are still dating. So online dating does actually work :)

    0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

  • I met someone in person that I first talked to online. I met her at Starbucks because it is a populated place with very little pressure. Everything went smoothly.

    0|0
    0|0
  • I've had very good experiences with meeting women online; in fact, I met my current girlfriend online. I would say about 5% of them turned out to be completely crazy, while the other 95% were very normal, attractive women.

    0|0
    0|0
    • would you be offended if a woman told you her friends would be stalking her? You can't be too careful, and I thought it was a pretty good escape plan if he did turn out to be a wierdo.

    • I wouldn't be offended, but it would be a turnoff. A grown woman who knows how to take care of herself doesn't have to resort to such extreme measures; you don't want to lose a potentially great relationship because you're acting way too paranoid.

  • Try doing a video chat too before you meet up

    0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

  • Well like I said in a previous post, I met my guy online, on this site. He wasn't a weirdo/rapist, etc. But yeah tag along a friend with you and meet in a public place, safer that way. My date turned out to be just fine.

    Best of Luck! and be careful.

    0|0
    0|0
Loading...