Dating vs. hanging out?

So there's this guy Matt from my bio class. We got coffee on Thursday and have been texting each other non-stop since then. Since then, he's admitted he likes me, wants to go on a date, wishes I could've gone to a Halloween party with him but I was sick this weekend, etc.

We have tentative plans to go on a "real" date. But in the meantime, he offered to help tutor me for a Bio quiz on Fri. so he's coming over Wed. and Thurs. I also invited him over to my dorm to hang out tonight when he gets off work at like 10pm.

Am I sending the wrong signal to him by just inviting him over to watch movies, study, chill in my dorm and not suggesting we go out and do date-y things?

Is there a real difference dating vs. hanging out?

Most Helpful Guy

• well your not sending the wrong signal by inviting him over to help study, chill and or hang out. With that you two can get to bond, know each other,etc before even the date so that the date will go even more swimmingly.

The difference between dating and hanging out is only by the title really. Its the same sh*t, just different name. With dating your upfront about being with your lover and hopefully seeing where it can, oppose to hanging out is more of a way to bond and truly get to know each other with less stress of being on the spotlight.

Good luck!

What Guys Said 5

• Usually you will start out as friends before you guys actually go out together. These "hang outs" allow you two to connect and get to know each other better. So when you go on your actual date, it should be very enjoyable rather than both of you have nothing to talk about. You said he already likes you, things should be okay and you are just over reacting. Just have fun and things will fall into place.

Good luck with your date!

• No, you're not doing the wrong thing. If someone wants to go on an actual date, I typically recommend Friday night. That will tell him that you would rather spend your Friday evening with him when you could be doing anything else.

• You sound like you're sending a signal to him that you're interested in some way. At least, to most guys that sounds like a girl that seems interested in them (even if it's just friendship).

And personally? For me? Nope. At least, of sorts. I'd prefer to have a girl I can hang out with than one I'd date. Hanging out at least means we have a real connection as friends which is necessary for a relationship.

And I hope you won't be left alone with him. I seriously trust no guy alone in any private place with a girl :P but so many bad stories and sh*t friends have gone through it makes me a little worried about girls being alone with guys :\

• @ your last paragraph- You're way too paranoid.

• *shrugs* ya, sometimes. But considering how many people I've known personally who have been molested or abused or had people try stuff on them, I've lost a lot of trust in people.

• At least fit the first three days I consider it hanging out. And never kiss or get physical with the girl. Until I know who she is.

What if she is a retired prostetitu :O

• If you end up ONLY doing those things like watching movies and studying (and keep putting off a "real" date) then that's probably not so good. But if you do those things with something more formal, too, then that's fine.

What Girls Said 1

• No, I think it's fine. He knows that you want to go on the "real" date. I don't think he'll misinterpret you simply hanging out as being disinterested.

Good luck, by the way. :)