Offer to pay for dinner on the first date?

so I have read questions on here that have stated that , the girl should at least offer to pay on the first date or split the bill. well yesturday I went on a date with a guy, he picked the resturant, I had no clue where we were going until I got there. he just caled ahead and told me it would be formal. I honestly could not afford this resturant at all. He invited me and said " I will take you out" so I didn't offer to pay at all. I did thank him for the dinner afterward. Was I wrong?

Most Helpful Guy

• That's okay. He's the one acting like a big shot so let him back it up for a while.

What Guys Said 2

• He picked it, he offered. If its out of your price range, and you'd like to show him you aren't using him, invite him somewhere you can afford to take him ,and pay for both of you.

• No that's fine.

What Girls Said 2

• You did just fine. If a guy asks you out on a date, HE should pay! Offering is a nice gesture, but let's just be realistic...you're not gonna pay for your half. So don't even bother. You could always go out for drinks after and pay for those...that would be nice, and it shows your appreciation. But any normal guy will know that they will be paying for the girl.

• no...

but next time, you should find out which restaurant you're going to and do some research as to pricing. you can even let him know that you'd like to pay half and that you're on somewhat of a limited budget. a good guy will respect your honesty.

• honestly I am old fashioned so I don't pay until the third. I will just make sure I let guys know ahead of time

• That should say "Women are often old fashioned when it benefits them "

• nope I am old fashioned in things that benefit the guy also, just can't state them on gaskg :)