Should a guy pay on the first date?

So, I recently started texting a friend from theater camp. He's 15. I'm 14. We've been talking for a couple weeks now. He asked me out after my Halloween party last week. We saw each other at another party a couple days later and again at a tech thing for a play I'm involved in. We made plans to go to the movies this weekend. Should he pay? Should I expect him to? Or should I? What's he going to assume should happen?

• Guys always pay the first date.
  • Girls pay sometimes on the first date,

Most Helpful Guy

• You should _expect_ to pay for yourself. He may offer. If he offers, he is likely trying to say 'this is a date, we're not just going as friends'. At that point its up to you. If you don't like him, I'd insist on paying for sure. If you like him, you can either let him pay, thank him, and perhaps pay for him another time, OR tell him that he doesn't need to pay for you to impress you, and pay for yourself, but squeeze his arm or something to let him know that you're not rejecting his idea that its a 'date'.

Also, have fun :)

What Guys Said 6

• lol. generally guys pay on the first date. however, its not like there's a rule for this. so if you want to seem nice and whatever, offer to pay for some of it.

• People should pay for themselves on the first date. Neither side knows it will go anywhere for sure so why waste your own money on another (or have them waste their money on you) if it turns out a waste of time? Later in the relationship each other can just pay as they feel for either all or be paid for or whatever. But, in the end, if one or the other insists on paying for both ,so be it.

• The person who asks should always be prepared to pay. That being said going dutch is usually good as well.

• Sure it's optional but I love the tradition. That's why I always paid.

• I would assume he's going to pay, but you can always be nice and offer to pay for yourself.

• And actually mean it. Not just do it to bullsh*t him because if he accepts you're screwed.

• yes we should. That's the least we can do in society nowadays

What Girls Said 6

• Should a guy pay on the first date? If he asked.

Should he pay? Whoever asks for the date pays for the date. To me it's only in relationships that it doesn't matter and you go 50/50 or sometimes for surprise one pays the entire bill.

Should I expect him to? If he asks he pays.

Or should I? Probably best to pay for half and go 50/50. Most men think they are entitled to sex or something sexual if he pays. In fact most men will think they are still entitled to sex because they took the time to go out on a date...that they asked for.

What's he going to assume should happen? Don't know ask him. Could be just a hangout not a date.

• Bring money and expect to pay unless he insists otherwise. Ideally it's best to pay for yourself, but some guys will feel slighted and want to pay for all of it for some reason, and if that's the case with him then I wouldn't get into an argument over it. Just say you'll get the next one (if you're okay with suggesting there'll be a next one haha).

• Kind of don't put your age cause I think the limit is supposed to be 16?

But wait a while and see what he does. If he doesn't immediately insist on paying then you insist instead. If he says 'okay' then I don't think he's the guy you're looking for.

• You should pay for yourself and he should pay for himself. If he offers to pay let him. It's just polite that way. But if he wants you to pay for it all, well then I would get upset. Have fun. (:

• yes! it shows how much he cares... if he can't pay, he should take you somewhere free or cheaper like a walk on the beach

• Go dutch.