Human Nature: Why do we want after things we can't have?

Take for instance me. I always find myself crushing on guys that I know are EXTREMELY WAY out of my league.

Then I always notice that the guys I want to pay me attention are the guys who would never. I also notice that guys who do pay me attention are the guys who I would never see as boyfriend material. Maybe friends, but nothing more.

I've noticed this in a lot of my friends too. Since most of my friends are males, I took notice that the girls they drool over the most are the girls who probably wouldn't think twice about them, if even at all. It's the exact same thing with my female friends, too.

I know that most of you will say it's because temptations are always there and such but I feel like there is more to it.

I'd appreciate meaningful answers and if your answer is that of the above, then, that's fine too. I just don't want any mean or hateful answers.

Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• Many people need a challenge. You feel better about yourself if you think you can do something that is against the odds.

What Guys Said 3

• It happens because humans have a desire to better themselves by going after something that is considered unachievable.

The vast majority of us are realists and accept that such a thing is futile, but there are those that will do near-anything to get what they want.

• If they are something we can have then there's no point in wanting them anymore.

No brainer.

• pay you attention? LOL just because they pay you attention, it doesn't mean they are attracted to you. I'm an average looking yet very picky guy. I even think most hot girls are not good enough/don't deserve me/inferior to me. why is that? well, I always strive for the best in life. don't blame me...

What Girls Said 2

• Why do we want after things we can't have? People like challenges and think if it's hard to get it must be rewarding.

• Because we are naturally selfish.