Okay, back story: So we've been making out for the last few weeks. Last week I brought up the question on whether he wanted to be friends or try to date. He was a little flustered and was just like "fine, we'll go on a date next week." I just kind of dropped the whole thing because I thought it was a blow off. Then Monday, he text me wanting to hang out, I was busy. He reminded me that we have a date this week and that I needed to let him know what evening I was available. On Tuesday, I told him Friday was good and he agreed. So, today he text me to see if we were still on for tomorrow. I said yes and he said he wanted to take me to his favorite sushi restaurant and then afterward he said we could go meet up with some of our friends at a wine bar.
The question is: should I offer to split the bill when it comes tomorrow? It is our first date. I am pretty sure he'll pick up the entire thing regardless but would it give me bonus points? I really like him.
Most Helpful Guy
Splitting the bill is good.
I'd bring the topic up with a smile "Shall we split the bill? Apparently it's called Going Dutch, god knows why ha ha."
I don't like to pay full BECAUSE to me, it implies the following (not in any particular order)
(1) I'm trying to be a domineering moronic male who pays for everything because I am manly and dominant (no offence guys, I've met guys who happen to that as a rule and I personally just didn't like them as people and so maybe it's a bit of transferrence on my part psychologically).
(2) I'm needy and want to pay to score points with her
(3) Gender inequality about paying, which I don't like because it seems hypocritical
(4) It does not feel like a potential partnership, which is sexy to me, so that undermines it.
(5) It's if I pay I expect something from her and I don't want that sort of relationship of "exchange."