What is the point of dating in high school?

I mean relationships in high school hardly ever last... so what do you think the true purpose is? Is there any?

Are kids at that age really thinking 'i'm doing this for experience' though?

Most Helpful Guy

• people say for experience. I personally don't know. I always thought it was pointless. Those relationships are based almost entirely on attraction.

What Girls Said 8

• Fun, connection, experience.

• Experience. Helps you learn how to deal with certain relationship problems. You also discover what you want (or don't want) in a partner.

I may have had some sh*tty times when I was younger, but I'm very glad that I did, because it helped me be emotionally mature and learn a lot about myself. My current boyfriend is perfect for me, but if I had met him before I had my failed relationships, our relationship wouldn't have lasted, because I wasn't truly ready. Plus, I probably wouldn't have fully appreciated him. For example, I never knew how much I wanted a gentle, nonaggressive (what some people would call "wimpy") guy until I had to deal with my easily-angered, macho ex :P

• @update: Haha, no. I thought every guy I dated would be the one I was with for the rest of my life, so I didn't give a crap about the "experience." People don't realize it until much later.

• Experience.And yes,teens today are much smarter and they are aware that high school is a time for growth,learning,experimenting etc.

• Are kids at that age really thinking 'i'm doing this for experience' though?

• Some kids are actually THAT aware believe it or not.Im saying this just because I have spoken to some that are. Not all kids are though.

• makin' some memories

• Raises your value with others, experience, expands your circle of friends etc I don't know :)

• P.s I have skyrim.

• Ahh I gotta wait 5 more days. I bought it on amazon. :-\

I'm not watching any videos on it. I wanna be completely surprised!

• It is sitting in my bag teasing me, winking seductively from the locker. Oh how I cannot wait to rush home and unwrap it. Grrr have to wait eight hours till work finishes fmllll

• I don't know I never dated in high-school! : )

• It's a trial and error.

• Attraction turns to like and love sometimes

What Guys Said 5

• Same reason we date as adults; to make a connection. It's a learning process - we learn what it's like to fall in love, we learn what it's like to be dumped, and (depending how far we got between those two events), we probably learned a whole lot of other things, too.

Besides, adult relations don't usually last, so they're not all that different from high school romances. It's all about finding someone special, even if only for a little while. As Steven Morrissey from The Smiths so eloquently put it, "I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does."

• @Update: they may not know they're doing it for the experience, but like anything else they start doing, they do gain vital experience from it. It's like when we were babies, learning to walk. We just wanted to walk, we didn't want any life lessons, but we got one or two anyway (like "falling hurts").

• The only purpose I can think of is to gain experience in dating. You can figure out more about what you like and dislike, how to talk to certain people, what to say, what not to say, what types of people are out there, things like that. But, you are right, high school relationships rarely last.

• It's a learning experience, it allows you to work out the generic relationship problems before it really matters.

It's also an outlet for any sexual frustration. Something teens are full of.

• Relationships teach you a lot about yourself. The more you get out there and the more experience you get the more you realize. Live and learn.

• @update: No, I don't think anyone would enter a relationship for that reason, I'm just stating that you do learn from the experience. Just because you are unlikely to find your life's love by dating in high school, does not mean you should not get out their and try. You need to make mistakes and learn from them. You have to figure out what you really want. You have to get in fights and learn how to resolve them. You have to learn how to apologize and compromise.

• I think it's better that you learn these things before you get into very serious relationships that move towards marriage. Too many marriages end because the people involved were too selfish, or got married to someone they were not really compatible with. They didn't learn enough to look before they leaped...

• I wish I wasn't so naive into thinking "High School Sweethearts" still existed. It's just where you tend to lose your virginity and gain a little to some dating experience.

• Just spoke to my "High School Sweetheart" ARRRGGGGHHHH...I f***ing hate high school again.