Is there a difference between dating and hanging out?

This guy and I have been kind of seeing each other (unofficially) for the last month or more. We started out as friends (I've known him for 6 months) but I knew he was interested in me because he kept asking me to go out on dates with him. We ended up making out... and then it kind of just evolved into us hanging out, making out , cuddling and whatnot. Anyway, he takes me to dinner and pays and has called it date night... but we aren't a couple. My brother asked him recently what his deal was with me and he told my brother that he enjoys spending time with me and that we are hanging out. He doesn't text me everyday or anything but when we hang out he makes comments about doing things in the future like "oh we should order this the next time we come here" or "you're going to take me out to that place you mentioned next week." He's started calling me "babe" too even though I only call him by his name. He also makes jokes about marrying me... not that I think its going to happen or anything but do guys do this with girls that they aren't really interested in?

I don't really know what this is... I'm really confused. I really don't want to talk to him about defining it though because I am afraid he'll freak out. He has anxiety and I know every girlfriend he's ever had has cheated on him so he's afraid of relationships. My friend said I should just hang in there and confront him about it if things don't change in the next month or so. Is that a good idea? I really like this guy and I want a relationship with him...

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't get too confused by the words. Whether you're 'dating' or 'hanging out' you're still pursuing each other romantically. You might already know you want to be in a relationship with him, he might not. So he continues this to see if you're a match. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Also, guess what if you behave like a couple then you are in fact a couple. Does it really matter what you call your time together? Regardless that's dates or hanging out it's still you enjoying each others company. If you're so fixed on making it official just talk to him about it.

What Guys Said 1

• You hang out with someone to see if you have compatibility to date and take things further. In you case the guy is probably hanging out with you for a while to feel trust in you and scope your view of him. If he's hinting at dating you then the hanging out will soon end and the dating will begin.

What Girls Said 3

• I wouldn't worry this guy is into you no matter what he says. Hang in there and let him do the asking. Just show him you are interested and enjoy been together. Just be natural and things will fall together babe.

• Looks like your dating him.

• OMG, I am in the exact same "thing"; the cheating; the "hangouts"; the paying for everything; the not texting every single day; the nickname; talking about future dates. I am so confused too. come on guys, please answer as to what this all means :)