Would using emoticons during serious conversations over chat/through text be inappropriate?

Should people refrain from using them during serious conversations? Why or why not?

• No don't use them! >:-O
  • It's OK you can use them. :-D
  • It depends. :-O

Most Helpful Girl

• A serious conversation? About what? It depends.

If that person is very sad about somethng very serious, you shouldn't use emoctions unless it adds a meaning to what you are trying to say (if words can't describe it well). If it's a serious talk about politics or whatever but that person is cool and all, I don't see a problem with adding some humor to the conversation as long as you are not making fun of that person.

What Girls Said 8

• If it's really serious like someone dying or being sued for 50,000 dollars then no don't use them.

• When I'm having a serious conversation I don't use emoticons because I feel as though it takes away from the intent of what's being said.i feel as though emoticons are very "cheeky" so I don't use them.

• They can be sometimes. Like if you use them randomly, especially when someone is telling you something important. If you use them to just show concern or express other emotions than it's okay :).

• I mean, I guess it depends, but sometimes they're appropriate.

• Depends on what your talking about

• i just think it depends on how serious the conversation is but if its not that serious I think your ok

• no because emoticons are good ways to emphasize what you are saying and convey emotions. just don't overuse them.

• I use them whenever I damn well please. I usually don't have serious conversations through text though, but if I did I would. I don't think it would ever be inappropriate for me.

What Guys Said 3

• Psh, if I feel like making a face to describe how I'm feeling in that situation, goofy or serious its either O_O or O_o, which is more perfect in the right situation with the right timing, it can be funny and make it less tense.

• I use them to express how a sentence should be read due to the inherent loss of emotion via text messaging. Example: You bitch! :@ vs. You bitch! :P

• I do it to add a little humor or tease. Who knows, I mean, if they're down, you may just lift their spirits. Then again, maybe no. But in extremely serious conversations, whenever I have them anymore, I don't use them.