Do you believe who you talk to online?

I just read a question about a girl meeting a girl online, who turned out to be a guy. This makes me wonder, how many people on GAG are not who they claim to be? Feel free to go anon on this!

Im not saying trust them, I'm saying assume they are not lying about their identity, ya know?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll admit, I've pretended to be a girl online before. Not for any terrible reason though, I used to be strongly affected with gender confusion and it'd fulfill something in me before I had the guts to cross-dress and things. No one ever found out, and I never did it for much longer than a month or two.

Despite that, knowing it goes on, I'm generally predisposed to believing people are who they say they are. Even if they're not, generally they aren't doing it to deceive me, they're doing it for themselves, and who am I to go prying into their private affairs? I'm good at knowing wether or not someone is who they say they are or not, though.

I was once very close to a girl, online, who came out to me and told me she was a guy. I said it was fine, but ever since that I noticed something slightly different about her- well, him. The magic of our friendship has vanished, I felt like he was acting, trying to be something he wasn't, trying to overcompensate for what I had just found out. If he didn't try and do that, I really wouldn't have cared. We didn't talk for months. BUT, then, I found out why! It wasn't even the person I knew before! She moved to a new apartment that didn't have internet and asked her brother to tell her online friends about it. He decided instead of telling people she had moved, he'd tell them she was a man! What a bastard! And she was able to prove she was a girl, and all. But it didn't really rekindle our friendship, which was very sad. The damage had been done, and we don't talk anymore. Quite sad, really...

It's funny though, it shows you that if someone tells you they're a girl, you question it, and if they tell you they're a guy, you believe it instantly, and treat it with no contempt at all.

I've met and known hundreds of people online, though, and there's only been one incident where that happened, and then it didn't even happen, so it's not all that common. I'm the only one I know who's ever done it and I don't even do it. So, I wouldn't say it was normal.

• You are quite a man for admitting that you did that! I can't imagine someone doing that for a long time though, that would really be creepy!

• Hah, thanks. And yeah, I know, I can't really imagine a decent situation where someone would carry that on for like 20 years, unless they had some delusional disorder and were *convinced* they actually WERE female, but then, it wouldn't really be pretending, would it?

What Guys Said 8

• I start to trust them after some intense chatting sessions over the course of a few weeks.

Women have this intuition and I'm envious of it.

Plus, I'm the same to everyone, on-line and in real life.

I hope the same for us to not take advantage of each other, in person or on-line. Treat each other like you want to be treated.

Being thoughtful goes a LONG way.

• Welcome to the internet, the place where men are men, women are men and the kids are FBI agents!

I never fully "believe" what I talk to online but I'm not downright paranoid!

It's just a net! Most of people you connect with here are thousands of miles away, on the other side of the ocean or on the other side of the planet!

And even more of them you won't ever meet in person - if ever any of them!

I just don't take seriously anything what is online.

So never fall for anybody online.

A pretty girl you see there might actually be a fat guy who lives in his mom's basement.

Some guys got a tendency to impersonate girls, just for "fun" it's a kind of trolling.

Most of amusement they get when impersonating a girl they watch and laugh as other guys are creeping on that profile or something like that.

Also it's not uncommon for some girls to seek other girls online as something more than just friends, and they suffer the most if they fall for such prank.

I can't answer exactly how people on GaG are faking their profiles, I'm not a cyber-spy or possessing such data, but..

It won't harm you to be cautious. Making a fake profile is extremely easy. Finding galleries of pictures from complete strangers using Google or Myspace or Facebook and claiming them to be "yours" is child's play.

But if you really fall for someone online and you plan to meet them, the only way how can you be extremely sure they ain't lying about their identity is webcam/video chat.

If you don't have, get it.

It's impossible to fake video-chat.

• haha I read that too..you talking about the lesbian story right? sh*t was kinna sad that dude was in a lesbian site posting ad a dude to get chick..wow what is this world coming too? but yeah I often wonder when those 16,17 years old are talking to me..if they are really who they say they are..I think they are cops and P.I so if its me they want to catch then they have a long way to go..lol sad sad

• I. Am. SUPERMAN!

• Im not really a giant smilely face

• THE CAKE IS A LIE

• i tell the truth about who I am

• Yes and no.

What Girls Said 8

• I'll believe what people say. That doesn't necessarily mean I trust them, but when you get my trust you have it for life (assuming you don't do something to break it).

My closest online friend I met him when I was 12, He knows the state I live in, he has my number, he's on my fb page as my brother, I skype him and we play games online together all the time. He tells me about his family and stuff I've talked to his girlfriend too. My best friend tells me he's a pedophile rapist because I'm 17 and he's 21, but I've never thought anything was gonna happen to me for trusting him to much and nothing has happened in the 5 years I've known him.

• Well, my name really is Savannah. My profile picture really is me...about 2 years ago xD I really should update it.

And I do that. I probably shouldn't as much. But if I'm talking to someone who says that they are 35 years old and named Mike, I'll be thinking of a 35 year old named Mike sitting at a computer. It won't even cross my mind they may be 47 year old Michelle xD

• Well now :D I have doubts but yeah generally I'm a sucker.

• yeah I do usually believe who they say they are and that type of stuff...because it's really no big deal :)

• Lol I've came across a couple guys on here that I call bs.. and 2 chicks that I think were dudes. One was always trying to get me to look at penis pictures and was a super psycho perve but there's a select few I feel there being honest

As for the rest of you I don't give a damn! No offense anyone :)

• Unless I have reason not to believe, I do generally.

But, I have been told to avoid certain users on here because apparently they're shady or lie about a lot of things that just make no sense...I'm not gonna say names either so don't ask people. But it's a couple of dudes and 1 chick.

• don't trust anyone?

• Naw you can trust me! It's everyone else you gotta worry about. :-O

• 50 percent of the time I believe...

but I rarely get serious..so Iccl.

• I only almost completely trust one person I've met on here. I've had people online lie to me in the past, so I'm pretty careful. I haven't been meeting anybody new lately, but I used to not talk to people extensively unless I saw them on cam because I didn't trust that their picture was of them.

• That's really cool. There are a couple people that I almost trust on here, and it's a pretty cool feeling! With the pictures of them, that makes me so paranoid. I like them to kind of prove that it is them somehow.