What's your opinion on blind dates/setups??

So I am a single attractive guy. I'm funny and intelligent. I'm not trying to be conceited, those are things I've been told. I do believe those things about myself but I am still very shy and insecure when it comes to meeting women or approaching them. Therefore I am not so great in the dating game. Pretty non-existent actually. Now because of the that, I periodically have been offered to be set up with co-workers' friends or friends of my friends on blind dates. I do appreciate the help, but I can't help but think that that situation is extremely uncomfortable. At least for me. I have little dating experience and one that is a blind date makes me feel even more nervous about an already nervous situation. I feel very uneasy about being thrusted into a one on one situation with a complete stranger. At least in a normal dating situation there's already a certain level of attraction before you go out with them. I feel like I would prefer my coworker to setup a group meeting or something that would allow a meeting but not be so intense. Maybe that is too cowardly but I don't want to take some girl who I've never even seen to dinner or out and be stuck there.

Are blind dates or set ups a good idea? Should I try to get something set up that isn't so immediately intimate?

Most Helpful Girl

• i would give it a shot if my friends set me up but I have terrible luck in relationships and dating so I don't know if it would go past a first date. guys tend not to want to date me but I think I'm reasonably nice and attractive because I have some good guy friends and I get creeped on in the college town nearby :/

• Well in this situation it is a coworker trying to set me up. They are nice and I have been to some happy hours with her, but I don't know if I can really trust her judgment on what would be a good fit for me.

• IMO unless you are really really uncomfortable with the situation always go on a first date, just for an adventure. even if it crashes and burns it's experience. that's just how I approach things though. I try to give people a shot as much as possible. I would go for it

What Girls Said 2

• Halfway through your post I was going to suggest a less intimate setting with more people, so I'm glad you already thought of it. It's not cowardly. In fact, I think it's the best thing you could be doing to improve your love life :)

• i think they could be good sometimes but other times I think they can be a complete disaster I really think it all depends on who the blind date is and if you can relate to them or not but at least it get you out there.

What Guys Said 2

• People that know you and the date are too involved imho. It's usually their egotistical reasoning of why you and someone else would look good together that screws you over...

• I've been set up with a few people before. All turned out bad, even was set up with a cousin once.

• Was it the situation alone that made it bad or just the people you were set up with?

• The people, had nothing in common with them. People think "she is single, he is single, it should be a perfect match up"