Is online dating real?

I have a online boyfriend, we chat everyday on webcam, text all the time and plan to meet this summer. He does live about 8 hours from me. Yes we met in a strange way online in a horror movie chat room, but my friend keeps telling me online boyfriends are not real, that I should grow the f*** up and meet someone here in my hometown. I lived in my town for many years, and met no one. The guy I met is really nice and respects me a lot. I am really happy with him but my friend keeps telling my online dating is fake. So what is your advice on this?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think your friend needs a reality check. Online dating is a real thing, and she can't tell you not to pursue a relationship with someone online. Did she really tell you to grow the f*** up? I personally think she needs to grow the f*** up. Sorry, I just feel strongly about online dating. I've had people feel awkward about my boyfriend who I met online, and it was ridiculous. Everything worked out fine though and we're happy.

What Guys Said 3

• To an extent, online dating is both real and fake, it all depends on the people involved and their seriousness, or commitment level to each other.

KEEP THIS IN MIND: People's personalities can change. Drastically. Just because you get along well online doesn't mean that you will face to face. Being together in real life in most cases will change a lot of perspectives.

Best of luck to you, and please remember to be careful.

• You're friends need to look around them. On-line dating is very much real, only I prefer to call it a long distance relationship. Because it is very real! Tell them to take a cold hard look at the military members serving. Because that emotion, experienced is very much real!

• yea my friends tell me that I need to meet people in person because they might not be who they say they are, but I know when someone's lying.

What Girls Said 2

• What do you mean by fake vs real? If you have feelings for someone, then it is real. Just because you cannot physically touch that person doesn't mean that your feelings are somehow fake. Does that make sense?

In a way, I suspect your friend means that you're not really in a relationship with him since you're not physically together or you have never met but again I disagree. There are many people in this world who do online dating and many people who do long distance relationships. That doesn't make their relationship or their feelings 'fake' in some way. It makes things more difficult yes but as long as you are real and he is a real person, then your relationship is real.

• Thank u. I agree with you 100%

• Best answer!

Feelings can be very real, even if it isn't a physical relationship.

• 4 out of 5 relationships start online now, online relationships are the same as real life ones. :)