Guys: Is it okay if you were asked to accompany a girl?

So guys, is it okay for you if you were constantly asked by a female friend to accompany her? Not shopping those kind of things but more of like a way to ensure her safety? As in accompanying her/ drive her home at night/ walk with her to somewhere else.

Like I know I have to ask at least one guy friend to walk with me on the street if I'm alone because I feel safer when a guy is around (the housing area where my hostel located is a little too quiet) and none of us own a car. But sometimes I think I'm troubling them.

Thank you for the reply! You guys are real nice. Well I see many of you have suggested that I do something in return. I did actually, but nothing biggie, like lending them my notebook if they ask for it haha~ It's just that I feel myself bothering them sometimes. .><

Most Helpful Guy

• any man worth making noise about will never turn down a woman when it comes to her getting home safely. Nice guys may finish last, but they do finish. If a man is decent enough to walk you home nightly, he should not expect ANYTHING in return, or he is not a real man.Give him a hug, but not a kiss on the cheek, tell him you are appreciative because you are really worried about walking home alone and you are really happy he is decent enough to help you get home safe. Like Sayaka said, do something small for him in return. Buy him a coffee or something when you run into him in a public place, but not lunch. One lunch is more expensive and two, lunch says a little more than just coffee. Ask him every time if he minds helping you and be grateful but don't make too big a deal of it in front of him even if it is a big deal to you. Women are worth protecting in my opinion and I find it a real shame that any woman has to fear for her safety no matter what time of day it is. But that is just me.

What Guys Said 10

• At a previous job, I often worked late in a big city, and so I routinely walked girls who also worked late to their car. Most of the time I didn't mind at all. Occasionally, yes, it was a bit inconvienent, but I'd always rather be inconvenienced than for something bad to happen to someone when I could have been there to prevent it.

My guess is that as long as you let them know that you are GENUINELY appreciative of them, and aren't taking them for granted, they'll be happy to keep doing it. And while they aren't doing it to try to get something from you, it certainly wouldn't hurt if you occasionally did them a little favor yourself, if you aren't already.

Nothing big deal; maybe fold their laundry, or make them a snack or something once in a while.

• I personally wouldn't mind unless I had a very busy schedule. They may not always be available for you, so you shouldn't consider them as your only option. Even traveling with another girl friend is better than alone, if possible.

Last but not least, have you considered taking personal defense classes, concealed carry training (if available) and always have your cell phone charged and ready? It is always good to have men around, and thankfully you have some solid guys in your life, but personal safety starts with the person that needs to be protected.

For instance, if you drink, make sure you don't get carried away, let other people serve you drinks or set your drink down. With a lot of girls your age, they throw caution to the wind and are shocked when bad things happen later, often preventable if the girl took responsibility for her own welfare. Thankfully, you sound more mature than most.

• I always walk girls home. I live on campus in college and every time I'm ready to leave bible study, there is always 5 girls that want to go with me because they live in the same dorm I do. It's no problem, I would rather see a girl safe than get hurt when I could have prevented it.

• lol why are north American women so paranoid? Its not that you are living in a third world country...Those places ARE actually dangerous. I have lived in a third world country before.

I would only do it because it is courtesy though and maybe because I might get laid hahahaha

• It should be common decency to walk a girl home if they have to walk, even if they're just friends or even classmates.

• Any real man wouldn't feel troubled by that, don't worry.

• I don't think many guys would mind.

Actually, I find walking/driving a girl home gives you a chance to talk to them without loads of friends around, which is quite rare and really nice - they tend to be a lot more open and tell you stuff they wouldn't say in front of other people (and vice versa).

I live in a tiny and totally safe village, but I still walk female friends home from the pub at night.

• Like this

link

• I don't really mind but after awhile I sort of would get annoyed I mean, isn't that like a boyfriend's job? lol

• I'd feel terrible if I DIDN'T. It's my duty as a member of the male gender to protect a woman's safety. Wouldn't matter who it was - if she was 18 or 80.

What Girls Said 2

• Personally, I think it is great if they do, but we should try to make up the favor when we can. I am not talking about 'that kind of favor'. I simply mean, if they go to the effort of doing that for us, surely we can buy them presents occasionally, or treat them to things as a sign of our appreciation.

• Ohhhh yes you are.

• A fair point. ^^ Also I have heard both males and females suggest that other males escort a girl home or drive her home, and I feel this is inappropriate to place such demands on someone. If they offer that is fine, but being forced to is in my opinion rude. If a girl has not organised her own transport or considered her own safety it is not the responsibility of others to help her.

• Here's to appreciative women!

• I'm sure most guys wouldn't have a problem with it, and Sayaka's right about doing something nice to show your appreciation.

I've never asked before, but after an incident that happened to me a few weeks ago I considered doing it. The thing is I don't really know the guys in my late class, so I decided to walk back with a girl friend of mine. It feels better have another person with you at least, whether guy or girl.