What is the point of dating for short amounts of time?

Ok, I'm in high school, and I've been noticing people just going out with each other and it only lasts from anywhere around one day to a week. Not everybody, but a lot of the people. Then they just jump from one relationship to the next. I'm wondering what is the point of dating a lot of people for short amounts of time? Do they change their mind or something?

Most Helpful Guy

• It could be that you're noticing a very vocal, apparent minority. Without a proper statistical sample, you have no way of determining concretely just how long the average relationship lasts. As long as this data is based on perception, there will be involuntary bias.

Assuming, for now, that the data are accurate, it could be that at that age, people aren't sure what they want in a relationship or even who exactly they are. Trial and error, in other words, with apparently mostly error. That would be what you're proposing.

The other option is that these sub-fortnight relationships is a widespread, accepted, phenomenon; 'sampling the buffet table,' so to speak. I'm not quite certain why people would do that, but I'm sure there are reasons.

What Guys Said 2

• Ask yourself "what is the point of dating at all" and you will have answered your own question.

wiseman~

• There is no point! Don't date till your capable of taking it seriously!

What Girls Said 2

• I have noticed the same thing in my high school and I don't see a point in it. If I am going to date some one it is going to be a long relationship not a week long or omg two WHOLE weeks. WOW! it is going to be something special. I want the guy to know that I don't just take every guy that comes my way.

• I guess people are just trying to find out if someone is right for them. How can you tell if you have found the right person for a long term relationship unless you give it a try? Maybe they think they found someone they really like but once they actualy start dating they realize it is not what they thought it would be so they end it. And also sometimes it is just fun and flattering to have someone there that you know likes you back. I don't get into a lot of short relationships, but I've had 3 or 4, I never went into them with the intention of it only lasting a month or two, it just worked out that way. When two people have only been together for a short amount of time and something goes wrong, it is sometimes easier just to end the relationship than to work things out because its not that serious. idk, hope that helps.