Rebound relationships: for or against?

Rebound relationships...dating someone after an ex to help yourself heal, make your ex jealous, you're bored, lonely. etc. Who has had one? How'd it go? Did it make your ex jealous? was it worth it?

• Great idea.
  • Terrible idea.

Most Helpful Guy

• Horrible idea. I got rebounded by a girl I truly cared about and it took months for me to get over, especially because this was a girl who I was very attracted to emotionally and physically. We had so much in common, it felt like she was my soulmate. Not only that, but after she left me, the next girl I saw 3 months later I felt like I was rebounding with. I felt so stupid for falling for a girl and believing her BS when she was just manipulating me into thinking she wanted a real relationship when in reality she just wanted sex and just wanted me for an ego boost and to get back at her ex. Very selfish on her part. She even had the nerve to say things like why can't I find any decent guys and i'm so glad i don't care about you anymore, makes it easier to find more guys worth my time on Facebook a few weeks after ditching me.

On a side note, the more i found out about her, the less i liked her. She is very over the top with her sexuality as if it defines her and has no self respect because she sends nudes out to strangers and posts them on the internet herself. She is also very dependent and cannot be single. Looking at her fb, she'd always go from guy to guy and could never be single. I find it funny when people who are never single criticize someone who isn't always in a relationship, having sex, etc. If you need significant other to be happy then you are weak.

What Guys Said 2

• Rebound relationships? Terrible idea as far as helping yourself heal, all you are doing is running away from yourself emotionally and not actually facing anything. The problem doesn't go just 'go away' it takes reflection and time. Honestly it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish though. For self-healing purposes, bad. For making an ex jealous? Depends on what type of person your ex is but only you can know that. Bored and lonely? Well its a nice fix but sucks for the other individual who is simply being used by you, and if that's the case its best if that information is out in the open so that they don't invest themselves too much emotionally.

• Terrible idea. Been in the position of the guy being rebounded and it feels awful being lied to and manipulated by someone you thought actually cared about you. The person who uses a rebound is weak emotionally because they can't handle being alone. I agree with most of the comments below, although I find it rare that someone found a rebound better than their ex, congrats to them. I don't get why people feel the need to be with someone after a breakup, you'll feel bad for a while, but healing on your own will give true strength, instead of just sapping it out of someone else.

What Girls Said 3

• It's a great idea only if you love your new boyfriend, if not, your just plain mean to use him.

• For. My dad is my moms rebound. They are still happily in love after 18about years:)

• Ehh...I'm going to say for. But only if you're smart about it. I had a rebound fling thingy with a guy, and it was fine, kinda helped me move on. Maybe you wouldn't call it a rebound though. We were friends, and we had BOTH just broken up with others. So we were both rebounding. We hooked up a few times and texted a lot over break, but neither of us were ready to commit to a real relationship. So we were very open about what was going on, and it was fine. Then later I met someone I think I actually like. If I hadn't had that little rebound thing I don't know if I'd be ready to like another guy, and this new thing wouldn't have worked out.