Guys:: Who should text first?

My mother is constantly raising a hullabaloo about how "you should let the boy come to you" and how "boys should ALWAYS initiate contact: via call/text/IM/Facebook/etc. or else you'll appear clingy and needy and unladylike". Is this true? I find it very old fashioned and bogus.

I'm not talking about a girl texting you 500 times to get your attention before you respond, but for example I wake up several hours before my boyfriend does, so I'll shoot him a "good morning, handsome" message for him to read when he wakes up. Ya know, start your day out with a sweet message, not too bad, huh?

So, in regards to just starting casual conversation, does it matter who messages first?

Thanks!

-Rachel

Most Helpful Guy

• Your moms an idiot. Most guys want you to initiate contact just as often as they do. When you don't do it as much as we do then it looks like you are selfish, lazy at relationships, not interested, etc. You only look clingy when we talk to you every day and you are saying things like I miss you even though you talked to us a few hours ago. Personally I love when I wake up to special messages from the girl I like/love. It makes the entire day better. =)

What Guys Said 2

• Your mom is wrong in that regard. If a girl acts cold or indifferent to a guy who texts her, she'll lose him in due time. There's no point in chasing a girl who acts so aloof and non-caring.

A healthy relationship consists of both parties communicating to each other in a good manner. A guy won't feel good about putting so much effort into it when he gets almost none back. It's not emotionally healthy for us to do so much chasing and initiating.

• If I'm always the one to start the conversation I asume the girl isn't intrested and stop talking to her altogether

What Girls Said 2

• well actually guys like it when girls actually text or call them since girls know what to say first guys have to figure out or think about for a long time to think what there gunna say

• Either person should text first. Basically if you want to text someone, you just do it. Your mom doesn't know what she's talking about. Waiting for a guy to text you just kind of makes it a game, and that's stupid.