High school girlfriend wants to go to prom with guy friend instead of me?

The title about sums it up. My girlfriend, a senior in high school, told me that she would rather go to her prom with a guy friend of her's rather than me, a freshman in college. When I asked her about it she said that I wouldn't know anyone so it would be awkward and I would probably end up following her around the whole time. While it is true that I wouldn't know more than a few people, I'm still a fairly social guy. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I couldn't imagine myself having taken anyone other than my girlfriend to my own prom. That is, if I had have had one at the time.

Edit: I should add (after most of you questioned her fidelity) that she is either not the cheating type, or a damn good, consistent, and congruent liar. Her last relationship ended because her significant other cheated on her with a close friend of her's. She's always been open about who her guy friends are and what they do together. She even initiated a "verbal contract," of sorts, between us that if either feels compelled to cheat, then we should just break up.

Most Helpful Guy

• dump her

What Girls Said 2

• Contrary to what the others have said, I think she may really not want you to feel awkward. Maybe she thinks you'd be bored or think high school dances not cool, as you are in college already. Maybe just make it clear to her that you really want to go and see what happens

• she's cheating

What Guys Said 1

• She's cheating