Do men think about financial differences when you're looking to dating a girl?

For example, if the girl is much richer than you, would that stop you from dating her?

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends.

The anonymous male user below that said this:

"Most are looking for guys to be on the same level or above."

That is an excellent point he made. Girls are hardwired to prefer high status men, or as high of status as they can get. When a girl's family is very high status begin with, the girl will feel her subconscious pressure to find an even wealthier man or sometimes it will even be her parents pushing.

I'm well-to-do thanks to owning my own business, but spend my money very frugally. If you saw my used car, you'd think I was living paycheck-to-paycheck. I would date a wealthy girl only if I thought that she and her parents weren't trying to one-up me. I'm not interested in such a competition. I know several girls that are like that, but don't want to date them. I have my own money, to me, a rich girl would have to be very sweet and somehow not corrupted by materialism before I would consider her.

In short, I'd give her a chance only if I thought she was very humble given her wealth. It wouldn't be likely though, given that most people who are born into wealth instead of earning often have entitlement mentalities and are quite spoiled. The girl's personality and outlook on life would have to be generous, kind and loving. To her, her wealth must just be in the background, not a constant part of who she is.

What Guys Said 10

• not an issue at all. I am completely financially independent. from a money end I do not need anyone for that. So a woman being rich or otherwise is not an issue. Now I can focus on much more important things. but I get that some guys are threatened but the financially successful girl is just not an issue for me. now her smile and ass? well then. both finances and balls intact. there ya go.

• Money I don't think really has anything to do with who you really do love, yes the girl I am dating her parents are rather wealthy but that is not why I fell in love with her I had no idea about anything to do with money at all when I fell in love with her I only found out after I already loved her and it has nothing to do with money at all.

• nope:)

• i guess the average joe would be a bit intimidated or not feel equal financial wise. money shouldn't really matter as long as each party does their part.

• Yep.

• No, it wouldn't be a factor.

• It would be nice if she made more than me :)

• Not even, helps build a family.

• Not really, no. Finances are generally FAR more important to a girl than to a guy. We're looking more for sexual attraction and a good vibe.

What's the first question a guy asks his friend who's going out on a date with a new girl? "What does she look like?" What's the first question a girl asks her friend who's going out with a new guy? "What does he do?"

• Richer, yes. Poor or poorer, no. Reason being is most girls aren't willing to take a step back when they are looking for a partner. Most are looking for guys to be on the same level or above. I would just be more hesitant about dating a girl that is making a lot more or that has a family she's been riding off all of her life.

What Girls Said 3

• Money doesn't really matter to me. Everyone's gonna start out onthe bottom rung and work their way up. My boyfriend's family is not anywhere near rich. My family has some money. He and I are young though. This hasn't stopped him from going out with me and being there for me. As long as both people don't care, it should be fine! But keep in mind, all people are different!

• I think for a lot of guys, the prospect of dating a girl who is loaded is a major turn-on. The appeal of marrying into money is not gender-specific.

• I disagree. It is far more of a turn-on for girls than guys. Women rarely marry down, whereas men rarely marry up. If it was more of a turn-on and the girls didn't care, this wouldn't play out that way in the real world most of the time.

• good question! I wonder about this too...

• Do you come from a wealthy family? If so, do you think it has affected your ability to date? As you're anonymous, please feel free to share if any of this applies to you. I'm curious to know as well.

• I think most guys don't mind that a girl is poorer than them, providing the girl tries to contribute what she can and not just look for a free ride. As long as the relationship is more than just about money, both parties stand a chance of making it work.

• awww that's a relief! thank you digitalsaint