Was it a date or did we just hang out?

My classmate and I went always chatted at school and decided to study together one night, which didn't go well, because we talked about everything else, but studying.

Later during the week he asked if I wanted to get together. I thought it would be like a coffee thing, but he suggested we get dinner and let me chose the place.

He offered to pick me up, he didn't let me help to pay, he walked me to the door, because he was " just old-fashioned" and said it was "so great to talk to you, so easy and fun." But he didn't attempt to kiss me, just a hug and he left saying "I'll see you soon."

Was it a date or did we just hang out?

Okay, so today we're going for a walk together with his dog. Perhaps he does just want to be friends, which is great because I've never been friends with guys and he's so much fun to talk to.
Turns out it was a date.

We've been seeing each other ever since.

Most Helpful Girl

• Um that was DEFINITELY a date. Why? 1. You didn't know him THAT well. 2. It was just you TWO. NOBODY else. 3. He paid 4. It was at his place

Sounds like a true gentlemen! Hang on to him they are hard to find these days. haha

• Told ya! :)

• No necessarily.. I had a few guys do that.. two of us, he paid, but then nothing really happens. Just Friend. You can't be sure if he actually likes you until he actually ask. Just don't assume too much, you will only get hurt. If he likes you he will make it more obvious.

What Guys Said 2

• I guess it can be a date if you want it to be but I would say it was more hanging out.

• that sounds like what I did, it sounds like you just hung out, I mean that's what my crush wanted to do, just "hangout"

What Girls Said 2

• I wouldn't say it was a date just yet. It sounds too early for you to tell. He sounds like he's interested in you. He obviously enjoys spending time with you and makes sacrifices like picking you up and buying dinner at a place where you chose. I'd let it play out and see how he acts towards you. If he seems like a friend then it was just a hang out and he thought you were a really cool person to hang out with. If he seems more flirty then he probably meant it as a date. Him not kissing you at the end sounds perfectly normal to me since he sounds like a gentlemen and I don't think too many gentlemen would go for a kiss on the first date unless they asked first if it was okay.

• I would say "hang out". You would need "more special things" to call it a date. I have guy friends who have done that before, but I know it's just a hang out. At the mean time, do treasure your friendship with him :)