LADIES: What would you think of a guy who used a COUPON on the first date?

So you like him and he likes you and this is the first date, like ever. You are nervous and psyched and so is he. He picks you up and takes you to a restaurant, but its not like a fancy restaurant, but definitely a restaurant where people go on dates, like an Apple Bees, or Olive Garden. You are enjoying yourself when all of a sudden when it comes time to pay, he busts out a coupon for like a free entree or a free desert. After that, he takes you to the bowling alley where he has a free pass for a bowling game. He is paying but of course. He is also leaving a reasonable tip, just in case you are wondering.

What is your gut reaction to a guy who uses a coupon on a first date?

Note: I've never done this, but I was thinking about it since I just got a coupon to a bowling alley. It's a fancy place not your local Brunswick.

• I would think nothing, it wouldn't seem abnormal or normal.
  • I would find it to be a bit odd, but that's about it.
  • I would be wowed by his frugality and consider good spending habits as a precursor to a strong relationship down the road
  • I would think he was cheap and would be appalled
  • I would probably be fancinated by his spend thriftiness, maybe engage in banter about how to find good deals on the net
31 % are either being truthful or trolling this question. 17% might be understating the truth or telling it how it is. 5% seem down to earth, 15% are gold diggers... 22% seem like my soul mates...minus the guys that actually answered E..
I find that white women who date Asian guys (such as Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc) tend to be extremely cheap, using coupons for everything from Mcdonalds to Payless Shoe store. However, I have noticed the kids are highly attractive hybrids...but also very cheap...and kinda annoying.

Most Helpful Girl

• normal. id rather do something outside& physical,like hiking, or just exploring some place... tats pretty cheap.

plus it shows he's not an idiot, & thinks ahead. to save coupons, takes foresight, & responsibility. & I think its good to be rational& prudent about money. If he's going to be worried about what other people think, hell be insecure & likely to be judgmental too. Very boring.

i wouldn't be wowed or disgusted. id think it makes sense& id appreciate it, because, it saves me money, since were spliittng the check.

What Girls Said 16

• It's not something I've seen before, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Although, a guy who insists on paying, but then also wants to ensure you order the cheapest thing on the menu is a bit of a drag (my boyfriend does that -- I want to pay and do often, but he wants to look "macho" to the server so he insists on paying, but also tries to push me to order whatever he wants me to order). So use it in the spirit of "Hey! I have this let's use it!" not "I'm going to be miserly and watch all of your decisions like a hawk."

• To be honest I would be taken back a bit. You usually don't think of men as the coupon clippers. After rethinking it I would find it a little comforting and kind of a turn on. Marriages end over two things infidelity, or money(usually). Knowing he is good with money would be some what of a relief.

• My boyfriend now used a coupon on our very first date. It didn't seem odd to me at all...but we've known each other for years before dating so I already knew his frugality ahead of time.

• for some reason, if I saw a guy do that, I'd be like "Oh wow. This guy... is so cute" because. I don't knwo I just find it cute that he actually has coupons and spends them on stuff. Even first dates haha.

• Haha. First dates are first impressions and should be memorable. Ya, me and my boyfriend NOW go to Olive Garden and Applebees (I had never been to Applebees before him anyways) But honestly, our first time to "hang out" was me going to his appartment to hang out with him and his roommate and his roommate's girl. We ended up just going to his room and watching a movie. The second "hang out" was Hooters with the three of them- not happy about that one (Neither was the other girl) and the third was me going over to their apartment and the girlfriend and I doing there laundry while they made us dinner. Ha. So, obviously the first impression on him wasn't about the place he took me, it was definitely his personality, his appearance, and how well we clicked.

Now he takes me to fancy dinners some times where he spends well over 300 on dinner. Or he will take me to do something I have never done before (jetskii, go karting, paint ball)

• I'm a couponer so I wouldn't care. at least he paid, that's what counts ;)

• I answered D before even reading the whole question..

Honesty is good.. I guess ..so here I go..

It looks very cheap if he was to use a coupon I'd rather have him take me to McDonald's than pay with a coupon .. first impression makes a huge influence on me

2nd date I don't care what he pays with or how generous he is.. I don't want to see any coupons on the first date no matter how long I've known the guy

• Why not pay yourself. you're having _him_ pay for _you_ & you're calling him cheap. Really? Are you learning disabled.

• I answered the question its what I would think.. You should know he shouldn't expect every girl to be fine with it.. its a first date.. he can use the coupon on the second one I just don't like it if its on the first

• Yeah, use your coupons. I would totally be okay with that.

• If a guy is taking me to Applebees or Olive Garden on a first date, there most likely won't be a second date regardless of whether or not he uses a coupon.

• Is that your fingers talking, or you?

• The fingers!

• Argh to all of you down-voting me.

I go to Applebees all the time with my boyfriend now, but for a first date it seems tacky. I don't like chain restaurants and I won't appreciate being taken to one for an introductory date. It has nothing to do with money or anything of that sort, I'd much rather you take me to a local ice cream shop and to a park, that's cheaper or to go on a nice hike.

But freaking applebee's really? Just take me to f***ing mcdonald's then if that's what I'm worth.

• save the coupon for your friends... it IS cheap.

• @update: who made you the Supreme Court judge?

• No.. why would he even want to use a coupon on the first date? #brokemuch? And I never use coupons, It'd probably be very annoying if he used them around me.

• as long as he is paying...

• I would love that he used a coupon! It shows that he likes to save money.

• I think it's allright. A lot of people use coupons if they feel they need to or even want to. ;)

• Around my age...I would think nothing of it.

Hey... times are tough

What Guys Said 2

• UGH!

• i wouldn't use one on the first date, but when we were more comfortable with each other then why not, money's tight.