Talking about family on the first date?

I went on a date with a boy that I feel physically attracted to.

What surprised me about him is that he talked a lot about his parents and siblings. He seems to be a family-oriented guy. I'm like that too, and it felt refreshing to me, as nowadays so many people seem to focus on their jobs and their careers mostly.

I told a good friend of mine about how nice, sweet and family-oriented he was. She commented that she thought what's only what shallow people would do and say. I guess she meant that it's best to avoid discussing very personal info related to family values on a first date, and maybe discuss them later on and with a deeper acquaintance (?!)

What do you think of this?

I'm mostly a goody-good type of girl and I'm terribly scared I'm being naive and that he's pulling my leg.

What Guys Said 1

• No offense, but I think your friend is full of it. There's nothing "shallow" about someone talking about their family life.

I agree with you that it can be a refreshing change from listening to someone going on and on about their career, or how much money they make, etc.

What Girls Said 1

• Seems like a good sign to me . He's telling you things about the people who are closest to him .

The ultimate " I like you" thing men do ( in my experience ) , is wanting you to meet the family he's told you about . I think then , you really know he likes you .