Is dating my second cousin weird?

She's extremely attractive, is all over me, and we get along great. Will it be awkward if I dated her?

• Yeah... that's weird
  • Nah, not really

Most Helpful Guy

• "According to Professor Robin Fox of Rutgers University, it is likely that 80% of all marriages in history have been between second cousins or closer."

If you two are attracted to each other and are compatible, go for it. If things go very well, you'll be in good company.

• If you consider corpses good company.

• I could be wrong, but maybe there is a reason why it was more accepted in history than what it is now - possibly because they have since discovered the dangers of having children with a relative. Given the risk is actually not that great that your kids would have genetic defects, but still I'd say there is a reason why it is generally not encouraged in today's society...

• And what is that danger exactly? The chances of having birth defects is only 2 or 3 percent higher than in other couples, which is less than a middle aged woman having a child. No one is stopping them, and no is stopping people with serious disorders from reproducing and messing with the gene pool. That would be wrong.

What Girls Said 3

• I would say it should be avoided if possible. While it depends on where you live, romantic relationships within families aren't very accepted these days, and dating your cousin could potentially cause drama or strife with other family members. If you already have strong feelings for each other and you believe you're "meant to be", then it may be worth it to risk any awkwardness or judgment that might ensue. But don't date just because you get along. You may as well find someone else.

• Uhhh yeah, that's disgusting.

• Yes, it's weird.

What Guys Said 3

• Kinda weird bro.

• Eh, I don't see it as a huge deal. Tbh the genetics at that point are far enough apart I think. But even so, it is a bit unusual in America (if you're American).

• I have a second cousin who I thought was hot too...until I found out she was my second cousin..