I really don't want to go to prom..

I apologize for yet another prom question..but I really don't want to go.. I was asked by a girl I'm pretty good friends with over text and never actually said I'd go, just that I would consider it.. She pretty much took that as a yes and started planning.. I've told her that I might not go, and she got upset. I'd like to stay friends with her, but just hate the idea of prom, how much it can cost, and I don't want to crush her hopes.

So my question is, how can I tell her? Or should I just suck it up and go? What are my options here?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hey if you can go to a prom AND ACTUALLY HAVE A DATE then you're more fortunate than some people. You were more fortunate than me. That's why I stayed away from such things.

Except the grade 8 graduation prom. I think the only reason people danced with me is because they knew I was moving out of town the next day and they would be fortunate enough to never see me again. So they were mercy or pity dances. I never really dated anyone in high school (that was in my city). Funny thing is there is one girl in particular I was quite attracted to. I was too shy to ask her out then. I have no idea what she's doing still single.

What Girls Said 2

• just go. it is possible to not spend tons of money on prom if you're smart about it. she'll be really mad if you say no and then she doesn't have any time to get another date and all her plans fall through. you should have just said no in the first place so she could have gotten another date.

• If you're her friend and you know it means a lot to her, then go and have a great time.

What Guys Said 4

• Tell her that I really don't want to go to the prom. By no means is it you, If you can't find someone else that you like enough I'll go with you because you are my friend & I can see prom means a lot to you.

• Yes, this has less to do with friendship and more to do with her prom fantasy. So stick up for yourself, QA. You are nobody's tool.

• she wants to go to prom, she doesn't want to go alone, she chose you to go with, you said maybe instead of giving a straight up answer. And no offense but I once had a friend that kept saying maybe instead of what he knew was the actual answer which was "no", and we aren't friends anymore. so take into consideration your words and how you speak them, basically if you don't want to make your self a douche bag ul go

• I didn't go to prom, now I'm a pedophile.

Dont make the same miiiistaaaake!

• If I understand you correctly you wouldn't help a friend that is a girl with her fantasy?

Isn't that part of being a friend?

• If she was honest about her intentions I would help her. I don't fall for those games and I takpride in being an individual, not a social prop. Though for an honest friend in need, I would consider it.

• Meh, I didn't go to prom.

If you like her then ask her out to a movie instead of prom.