Are online, long distance relationships worth pursuing?

I've been talking to a really great guy I met on here. We talk on chat, e-mail, and Skype often. He lives on the other side of the world, but will be coming to the country where I live later this fall, but the area he'll be in would be a really long distance to drive (15-20 hours!) from where I live, and he'll be here for his job, so he most likely won't be able to come to my area. I can't take a plane, but I have the money for gas, and would need to take time off school for it, and I don't know when we would be able to meet in person again.

Are there any ways that us getting together could be easier and I can go without having to worry about school? We want to be together, but he has a very important and demanding job and I'm still in college. What can we do? I think things would work out between us... the only thing in the way is our distance apart.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• I really think it depends how much this guy means to you. I was in a long distance relationship with a guy I met on here. He was my best friend before we even started dating though, and I already felt like I could see myself with him for a long, long time. If it's like that for you, then I say go for it, feelings like that are always worth pursuing. I'm not really sure what you could do though to shorten the distance while you're in college. You would maybe have to just do long distance for now and try to visit each other as often as possible.

• Thanks for your input! It's nice to see that someone else has been in this situation. We actually were just friends for a while, but he was flirting with me a little. After a while, he said he thought I was great girlfriend material and that I was starting to "grow on him." The thing is that I still live with my parents, and they wouldn't like the idea of me going to meet "some random internet dude" ya know? So that makes it difficult too. :(

• I understand the parents not approving this. I thought mine wouldn't for a really long time so I never told them about him. Turns out they didn't really care as long as I was safe about it. I don't think they would approve of me driving 20 hrs though... Maybe you can get him to come visit you first?

• I wish I could, but when he'll be in the states it'll be for a business trip. I don't know if he gets any vacation time when he's over here. I'll have to check. I feel like I'm being a little selfish if I'd ask him to give up his free time to come to me, since he'd already be way over here (he's actually from the Philippines). I don't mind driving and I know I could get my parents to be OK with me having a road trip - except that it would be when I'm in school. That's the biggest obstacle.

• I'm in really close situation as you, and I couldn't be happier. I love my boyfriend very much. I live in memphis and he lives all the way in chicago, but we make it happen. Hopefully, we will be able to meet soon. We've been together 9 months now and we always either text, Skype, or IM on yahoo. It all depends how much you guys mean to each other, and if you guys are going to be faithful and honest to the relationship. Good luck, it will be hard trust me. :)