What is "Out of my league"?

Is there a such thing? Or do we make this up because we are too afraid to take a chance for the risk of being rejected?

thanks everyone. I just got the courage to walk up to a guy I like and right now we are talking and hanging. He says I am pretty and beautiful and I am really happy so thanks for your help

Most Helpful Girl

• people made that up.

possibly, not because they were afraid to get rejected but because they didn't wanted different bloodlines to get mixed.

for eg. a princess would never be allowed to marry a poor guy.

have you noticed, in every single fairytale, the poor girl that marries the prince is always the most beautiful one? they had to made up some how - I mean, he would never marry a ugly, poor girl. in this case he got's her with his money, and she got's him with her looks.

nowadays, as it happened before, we have our own place on society. we have the places we go with our friends and the part of the city we live in. if you are a low/medium/high class person you have your own 'place' to socialize with people with the same class as you.

but inside each class there is people who stand out more/less, even if it's for the way they look or act. and unconsciously, we see that person as if they were in a higher/lower class than we are.

link

What Guys Said 6

• "Out of my league" is often an excuse to get out of asking someone out because yes, they fear rejection. I've been guilty of this in the past, but I've been getting a lot better at that. As far as looks go, I'm at least above average (I've been told I'm "hot", "cute", "adorable", etc.) and I have a good smile. I know that I'm a hard worker and that I'm honest and loyal. I'm very respectful of and chivalrous towards women and I'm also learning how to use my shyness to my advantage. I know I have a lot going for me.

• in terms of looks no such thing

but in terms of social status it is possible

you can't expect to marry a celebrity when you stay at home watching p*rn all day

but in terms of everyday people with normal jobs or class mates and such

there is no such thing as out of my league

people think of it because they are afraid of getting rejected by the person they are interested in

the human brain sucks at taking bad news

• Thats a simple way of saying it's a hopeless romance doomed to fail. You could always try. People overachieve and get amazing partners all the time. They just rarely pan out because of the lopsidedness of the relationship.

Then again, a lot of relationships don't pan out so it doesn't hurt to experience it.

• I think for the most part though there are kinda leagues. nerdy joe probably isn't going to land the model girl. crazy things happen in life though. if you have the confidence, it's always worth the try.

• That's just an excuse people use, I use it myself too. Confidence plus will power will help you conquer and overcome everything.

• I'd say its based on your socioeconomic status (SES).

What Girls Said 2

• I believe in leagues, I think you just need to be realistic with your preferences.

I don't think its wrong for me to say this guy is not attractive enough for me.

link

• There is no such thing. The nerd can get the model, and the boy chest woman can have anyone. It's all about confidence.