What do you think about meeting people online?

Not just through dating websites, but other sites like Facebook, MySpace, Craigslist, etc. Have you ever messaged someone randomly on these? How do you feel when someone does it to you? Do you ever accept or start a conversation with them?

• I've messaged people randomly and have a success story. Explain below
  • I would never do that!
  • I have had people message me and I ignore all of them.
  • I have had people message me and have a success story. Explain below
  • I have a horror story!! Explain below

Most Helpful Guy

• I voted D. My last girlfriend found me online and was the one who started our relationship. It was great, we dated for two years and would still be together if I didn't have to move. I miss her and she is a great person. So, not all the people online are 'creepers' but I am sure come are. I am onine, and not creepers :P

• ^ sure some are ^

• How did she find you?

• She added me on MySpace, not the first place I would look for a companion, but as I stated, she is the one who contacted me. Jeez, I miss her

What Guys Said 10

• I've met with people I've sold stuff on ebay for, plus met a few odd facebook folks as friends, but no girls for the intention of dating. If you do meet someone online for the first time, make sure you are with friends, or at least in a public place. Yes, there are some creeps out there, but there are a lot of legit people online as well.

• Unfortunately, I've listened to way too many horror stories from friends about online dating, and the amount of creepers out there of both genders. If people try it and succeed, more power to them, that's awesome. But at the same time, there are some pretty sketchy people using these services also, and I'd rather not take a gamble with them involved.

• I've joined online groups for various everyday pursuits. You do meet nice normal people but you can also meet crazy insane psychos. If you're going to meet people from the internet meet in groups tell someone where you're going and don't let anyone give you a drink that you didn't see being prepared.

• No such thing as 'meeting' people online, it's an oxymoron.

Sure it works out occasionally in real life, but usually people aren't NEARLY truthful about themselves and often they totally misrepresent themselves..

• I would just talk to friends of friends so you could possible get background on a person if they're a creep...Also keep in mind that there are a lot of guys that use myspace and facebook to get laid so be smart and don't let yourself be hurt by a guy that is just lying to you so he could get you in bed...

Likewise there are many girls that want to get laid as well but this is less common

• I think those internet communities are kind of weird. I stick with wikipedia and porn

• ive done it, I regret it, its too dangerous...

recommendation to people: DONT DO IT...its creepy and you could wind up in a bad situation

• I don't think it's that good to meet people online.. but if you met them in person, it's good to know them better via the sites you said of course.

• My girlfriend and I became close through myspace. Note however, we had actually known each other before hand, but it was through myspace that our relationship started.

• I met my first girlfriend online in a chat room when I was a sophomore in high school. I was just in the chat because I was bored and looking for someone to talk to. Turns out she was from the same city I'm from. It was my longest relationship I've ever been in. I saw her just put her a/s/l in the chat, it was around my age at the time, I messaged her, we talked, we liked each other enough to have good conversation. Ended up exchanging phone phone numbers, talked on the phone for like a year, long enough to get to know each other, and ended up meeting and going out. It went very well. Like I said, the longest relationship I've been in, and I think that has a lot to do with how long we got to know each other first. Now I've met over girls online, like through aim, and myspace, and those did not work out, basically because we didn't talk long enough, and get to know each other long enough like that one girl I was talking about. We just rushed into meeting too fast. All together, I think meeting someone online is not that bad of an idea, for one, you can sometimes find someone very interesting and fun to talk to, and two, if you do want to meet them in person, you can I think if you talk to each other long enough first to get to know each other very well before finally meeting them in person. If you don't, your bound to meet the person, find out things that you didn't know before hand, and not want to be with them, that's happened to me more then not.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm engaged to a guy I met on Myspace 5 years ago. We stayed friends for 4 years and then started to like one another after and now we are engaged with a kid on the way. I didn't go into the relationship looking for anything serious at all other than a friend.

• Sure, of course. I usually don't message people unless they meet my main requirements, such as them being interesting in some way or another, and they must NOT use chatspeak. They have to use correct grammar and punctuation, otherwise I'm just like, "Next!" Unfortunately, people don't really message me ... so =/

I met a good friend through MySpace this way. We're no longer friends, but it was great while it lasted. =)

• I voted A. I was playing this game online and asked for help with something. This kid said he would and we started talking. Then, a few days later, I saw him on and messaged him.

That was over two years ago and he's one of my best friends now! =]

• i never have nd probaly never will just because I'm a little paranoid and I don't trust people easily even face to face. across a screen seems impersonal too me

• i met a guy through facebook poker who I talk to constantly, almost on a daily basis. Though we are different in terms of culture, religion, race, etc (he's from turkey, I'm from the phils)... we are alike and connect in so many other ways. its been almost a year now since we started talking but the connection hasn't dwindled a bit...