Up to what age is it okay for a man to say lol?

I have noticed that most males use "lol".

I mean I get that you find it funny but "lol"? isn't that a bit out dated?

Ive known a couple of guys in their 20's use lol and you know what I think its creepy. I begin to imagine a 40 year old pedo on the other side sending a text. Well not just creepy, but it just doesn't seem to suit a guy. Or when you say something and there is just an "lol" response...its like what? I didn't even pull a joke.

Guys why? WHY? why do you do this?

Its fine to say it once in a while...but like in every other message?

Hey you guys!

Thanks for the insight. I'm not in any way offended by what was said, although some of it was harsh. But hey, the truth hurts. I'll stop being so uptight and work on being more lenient. Everyone has their own form of projecting feelings and some just use. lol.

so lol. this has been funny and interesting to read.

Most Helpful Guy

• Texting/chatting is a pretty horrible way to communicate; so much emotion isn't carried through, and that often leads to people taking things the wrong way.

Using emoticons and abbreviations like "LOL" helps to close that gap.

People chat me here and other places all the time asking for advice, and about 25% of them end up asking me about some text a guy sent them, and when I read it, I read one thing, but they read something completely different. And often it's just one or two words, or lack of emotional context, that leads to all that confusion.

Again, texting is HORRIBLE for relationship communication, and FAR too many people use it for that. At least when you call someone, you can hear HOW they're talking and gain emotional context from their voice. Still, face-to-face is definitely preferred, with voice only if necessary, and texting as a very last resort.

What Guys Said 9

• lol is an easy way to help show emotion on the internet. Lots of misunderstandings have happened online, because people could not see the face of the person typing the words. Nor can we even hear the tone of their voices. Things like lol and ;-) help people understand the meaning behind the words. It has more to do with showing the emotion of the person typing, and less to do with actually laughing out loud, at something funny.

• Girls find literally everything creepy, LOL!

• lololololololololololloololololololololollololololololololololloololololololololollololololololololololloololololololololollololololololololololloololololololololollololololololololololloololololololololollololololololololololloololololololololollololololololololololloololololololololollololololololololololloololololololololollololololololololololloololololololololol

• There is no age limit to say that. I heard a 40 year-old dude use it.

• its more of what the guy's diction is. I personally will say haha, but it doesn't really matter. although if he says it out loud that kinda weird. also we will sometimes say it to fill in space like we want to keep talking but we don't know what to say exactly or we are busy.

• I'm in my 40's, and I have been known to throw out the occasional LOL.

• your over 18 link

• OMFG get over yourself it's f***ing 3 letters. I think this says more about how uptight you are than anything else

• LOL

• jk wanna come listen to Justin Bieber in my van? lol ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

• I'll take you for a ride on the bone lollercoaster. link

• to think of someone as a pedo from 3 letters is odd. they probably do it so much out of habit more than anything. would you feel better if he said 'haha' instead?

• it's just in your head. you've made that separation that lol should be a feminine thing and ha ha is more of a guy thing to say but that's not accurate really. both sexes do both :P

What Girls Said 3

• Yes, I have a friend who does this over IM ,and it ANNOYS the sh*t out of me. Personally, I take it like he has no goddamn interest in what I have to say or is busy. So, I don't respond when he only uses 'lol.' I close out the window and stop talking. This guy is in his late 20's.

• meh it's like second nature. I think it's used often to change the tone of a message. A message can seem cold and dull but if you put in a "lol" it turns light-hearted, sarcastic, or it's at least supposed to show that you have some emotion in you..lol <--- second f***ing nature. Regardless if you're a girl or not.

• i don't think it's outdated at all. it's actually...super common.

lol. :)

• but you're a girl!

it sounds fairly normal.

• and girls say they want to be equal -.- well I have a dream ! I have a dream that one day, chilled out dudes can use "LOL" as much as they like, without being mistaken forpedophiles !