Would you tell your friends and family you met someone online?

I met someone recently from a dating website but I feel a bit insecure about telling my family and friends how we met should I tell them the truth or lie to them ?

Would you tell your friends or family that you meet someone from dating website ?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have, I found my boyfriend online. I tell some people, and I have gotten mixed reactions. Online dating is becoming more socially acceptable, but there are still people who don't like it. I personally think it depends on a person's circle of friends. Some people will stop talking to you or have a huge problem with it. Which is weird since it's not their life.

I have had people who have given me weird looks and others who have confided in me that they have also found love online! I think if anyone out there is scared of saying anything, just say it. Who cares if someone has a problem with it. If they make a big stink about it, they are not a true friend of yours anyway! :D

• Thanks for BA! :D I would tell family about meeting someone online only if you are going to introduce them to the person, if it gets serious. Some relatives may not understand. But just remember its YOUR relationship, not theirs and if it makes you happy, then it's what is most important :D

What Girls Said 10

• I don't think it's a big deal. At least not so much anymore. Meeting through social networks is almost as normal as meeting at a bar or something. My best friend met her sweetheart on a dating site and nobody, not even her grandma thinks it's strange. I think she said something like: Oh yeah, through internet you can meet so many people...all the options today.

But yeah, it depends. Some people might still think it's a bit strange...but I don't think you need to be afraid that they judge you or anything... I mean sure, most people I know who use dating websites do it because the are busy, or "picky" when it comes to dating. Or they are just over clubs and bars and want to meet people with same interests. And nothing is wrong with that.

• It really depends. My step-sister married a man she met online February 2011. During their dating relationship (when he first started hanging around family gatherings), we were all under the impression that they met at a bar when she was there hanging out with another couple.

Once they were engaged, she revealed that, while she did meet him at a bar with the aforementioned couple, they had connected online and that was their first time meeting in person. She brought her friends along as a double date to make sure everything went safely. It was not a big deal and I think it was made up to be an unimportant detail that just slipped her mind.

After she told everyone, it was not weird at all. I think because it worked out the stigma of online dating (which is already beginning to lessen though not completely gone) was a non-issue. In her case she had a child very young and was ready for another, but wanted to be in a stable relationship first--something that her ex could not give her.

You need to figure out what is best for your particular situation. I do believe that completely falsifying how you met could cause problems, but maybe leaving out the detail about the online part of your relationship could be beneficial.

Personally, there are some people (like my closest family members and friends) that I would absolutely tell and others (like fellow church members I know who believe that even going to therapist is not trusting God) who I would not. I would rather not have their judgments on such a personal area of my life.

• yes it's not I would it's yes I do if I met a guy in online I tel my sisters and friends it already happende to me so it's fine

• I hear that quite a lot of people are using dating sites more, if you feel insecure about telling them then dont.

• Yes that does sound like a good idea but what do I say when they ask us how we met do I lie about it ?

• No I wouldn't lie about it, just wouldn't say where I met if I felt that strongly about it.

• i would. why not?

• I feel a bit insecure telling people I get kinda uncomfortable I don't know why

• I met my ex online. Not on a dating website but I still feel embarrassed telling people that I met him online.

• If the relationship worked out then yes.

• i'd only tell my very close friends as the other I don't care and I think they would bad mouth about me and jsut make things too complicated - I rather not tell them - but close friends are okay

• I wouldn't say anything. Is better, trust me.

• Yes but what do I say when I'm asked how we met ?

• You can say you met her somewhere out of the city, while you were hanging out or working or you had to travel to that place for some XX reason, because remember: if it doesn't work, maybe you'll meet another ones and! you just can't be saying that's how you're meeting them!

• Depends on how much I care about him.

What Guys Said 1

• I had one relationship that started online and it wasn't a big deal talking about it.

Of course my mom is hopelessly sensitive and paranoid about everything so that wasn't very easy to deal with.