Would you date someone who had completely different religious and political views than you?

Would you date someone who had completely different religious and political views than you ?

why or why not ?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I would.

Mainly, because it's difficult to find white males who are Buddhists.

I like variety too.. - My mother was a Christian till she converted over to Buddhism, when she married my father. They seem to make it work.

It's not like I plan on having kids, where that would be a huge issue for most couples..

Also, as long as they respect my beliefs. At the end of the day, I'm with him and care for him so I won't let those two get in between.

What Guys Said 7

• I'm generally an independent with some libertarian leanings, and I'm an agnostic. So it would depend on the amount of emphasis she puts on these things. If she's a hardcore communist or strictly religious, she would be better off with a guy who also puts as much emphasis on those things as her.

Regardless of her views, here's what's important:

- She's aware of the issues and can discuss them on occasion

- She can discuss them civilly, with an open mind (and not dogmatic)

- She has an independent mind and can make her own opinions

• political view - I don't mind

religious views - only if the other religion is similar to mine

it would be hard to raise kids with 2 different religions fighting for power :)

• If there's attraction, I would -try- not to be judgmental, rigid and intolerant - and that's pretty much everything I'm usually not.

But to be realistic, it would be impossible to keep the peace and sanity, sooner or later one or both people involved will try to 'convince' the other person to accept their ideas and the clash WILL happen and then it's becoming ugly...

So I just gotta stay away from religious nuts and political extremists, even if they're hot!

• I'll date her for a week or two. That's is only if she is hot.

• Yeah, but that would probably become a good subject for recurring fights later.

• sure I don't care about that stuff.

• I would UNLESS they were really into it. I'm an atheist and a liberal and if I met some girl who was the opposite but seemed like she was just vaguely interested and wouldn't get so heated by my thoughts on things, I could deal with that. but I could not date someone who was really into either. our personalities would just clash way too much. we would disagree probably on nearly everything and I just don't see it working well at all.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm pretty passionate about my political beliefs, so I couldn't be with someone who had wildly different politics. A few minor differences are fine, but my boyfriend and I agree on nearly everything.

We do have different religious beliefs, though. I am not religious, and he is Christian. However, we both respect each others' beliefs, and his religion doesn't have a huge impact on his lifestyle. So generally I'm not bothered by that difference. He doesn't pressure me to follow his religion or to go to church with him. But I think that if he was a stricter follower rather than usin his own judgment about a lot of things, it would get in the way of our relationship.

I guess I'm the opposite of what a lot of other people are saying- similar politics are a requirement for me, but I have a little more flexibility in regard to religion.

• No it is very important to me that me and my future husband share the same religion. Politics I'm not as concerned about but religion is a must.