Do you let your family have a role in selecting your signficant other?

Do you ak their input when thinking of starting a relationship with someone?

*ask furshlugginer travel computer, so tiny, hard to type!

Pls rate the question, thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• Whoever I decide to go out with will be based on my own decision and nothing else. My parents married each other even though each of their respective families disapproved so therefore why should I take their input in my s.o? They weren't really there for me so I wouldn't bother to ask them their input.The only people I would ask what they think would be my aunt, grandmother and cousin who is basically my best friend. These people I would respect and value their input of my s.o but in the end its my happiness that's in play so ultimately its my decision.

What Girls Said 13

• I take their input, but they have always been accepting of my s.o :)

• I'm a very family-oriented kind of person, so their opinions would mean something to me, but not everything. If they have a real reason not to like the person, I'd hear them out, but who I date wouldn't be their decision. My parents are really laid back people and pretty easy to get along with, so unless there are any major red flags (which I'd hopefully notice early, and have gotten rid of the guy myself), I think they'd like whatever kind of guy I'd bring home. They trust my judgement, and only want me to find a guy who makes me happy and is good to me.

Also - my mom is Greek. Although both of her brothers married women who weren't Greek, she was the only daughter and was expected to marry a Greek guy. Needless to say, my mom's mom didn't like my dad for a really long time. On top of being a pasty guy of Scots-Irish ancestry, my dad is a little over 12 years younger than my mom. So when it comes to reasons for not liking a guy I bring home - my parents have no right to use the age or race/ethnicity card.

Since family is so important to me, it would probably mean more to me that my guy's family liked me. Mainly because I'd most likely only bring a guy home to meet my parents if we were serious - serious to the point where I could see marriage in the future. Therefore, I'd want my possible in-laws to like me.

• It is important for them to like each other. Otherwise no.

• That begs a few questions..what if they DON'T like each other? What do you do?

• I'd fund out why they don't like each other. Like if my sister or parents say they don't trust him. I listen to why. If it make sense I may even reconsider. Not solely because they don't approve. But because sometimes we can be blinded by emotions and not see the real person. Superficial reasons and personal taste would not sway me.

• I answered no to this type of quesion a while ago but over the last few motnhs..I've learned that I do let them have a role in selecting.

They don't act as match makers but their in put really does weigh heavy on what I do with that person.

In all honesty, I wish I didn't care about what they thought as much as I do but they generally have very good reasons.

• Simply...no!

We've never been a close family in terms of sharing intimate details of each others' lives.

When it comes to partners, we introduce them into the family when it's serious. And by then the family has not much choice.

• Not really. If they told me they thought someone was bad news I'd hear out what they had to say. But other than that it doesn't really matter what anyone besides me thinks.

• Not really, I choose by myself and then present him to my family. I always expect them to accept my decisions, and so far they have done so.

• yea I care a lot about my dad's opinion. other people in my family don't have a very good judgement of character, so I don't value their opinions. if my dad doesn't like someone, it's for really good reason.

• Of course I value my parents input, but ultimately I have final say in who I decide to date.

It's always a huge plus if my parents like/get a long really well with someone I'm seeing.

• nope, my parents are accepting. they just want the person to treat me right. I'm african American, and although my sister has always brought home black guys, I brought home a white guy and they didn't care :3

• Although I'm birracial, my parents are very picky on who I bring home. However, they still allow me to make the final choice. They just feel that their opinion should be heard and taken into account.

• No, I wouldn't. My folks are very annoying and no man seems to be good enough for me. They like squares and boring, serious guys. I like a guy who can be silly and have fun sometimes.

• As long as my family loves him were good :) but the most important thing is that we both love each other :)

What Guys Said 4

• F**k no. My folks are part of my life, sure. I appreciate the insight they offer, but this world already has enough judgement/prejudice to not be brainwashed into a modern robot. In my eyes, it's best to think for yourself and see how you feel about your S/O. If you're happy, isn't that all that matters?

~ ArtistBBoy

• No I'm a man I do whatever I want.

• Hell no!

• No, ofc I'd like them to approve of my choice but if they didn't, so be it.