Has texting made dating less personal?

I think texting is fine as an easy way to communicate basic stuff, but as a means of finding out someone's feelings/emotions I really dislike it. I hate how girls can hide behind it (though I'm sure guys do it too). Many times I've called a girl I'm just starting to get to know and she'll act really awkward, then later say she prefers to text. Seems to me like the phone is better because you get the person's undivided attention, and you get to hear their voice. Anyway, I think texting has become way overused and has taken the personal touch out of dating. How about you?

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe so too, and it really makes the other person astray their attention from you. And when you call you're not wondering why their ignoring you or what else it might be they're doing whereas with txting you're always dying to know what you might've said wrong since they're ignoring you or not txting back or whatever it might be. I would definitely prefer a relationship where all the communication is verbal and through the phone or even in person, txting seems to hide real emotions and often times reactions that a person might have during a conversation with you, heck you could also hide other things and you even have time to make up lies, pretend your someone else that's txting, etc etc

What Girls Said 11

• i dislike having actual conversations via text. I mainly use text to organize when and if we're going to call each other :p and I guess for some flirting throughout the day lol.

but yeah, I dislike the idea of discussing anything outside of that over text.

• I think texting is stupid in just about any case. It doesn't take much more time to call and/or leave a message, so I don't see the point. I don't think I'll ever get a phone with texting. I don't even have a cell phone at all.

But yes - it makes things impersonal. You can't see a person's facial expressions and other body language that you need to really get to know them. But if you already know a person well outside of the texting, I think it's alright. A couple friends of mine can somehow pick up on my real thoughts and feelings without even seeing me, because they know how I word things and how I type.

• I think people are becoming socially awkward, and like you said people hide behind it texting gives people time to think of what to say. Not everyone is as clever as you are. Sometimes people don't want to sound stupid.

• It's wrong if a person would rather text, but in my opinion I don't think so. Texting is so much easier than calling because if you're in a public place where it's inappropriate to talk on the phone, you can still stay in contact with your spouse/boyfriend or girlfriend. It's honestly made it easier for us to stay in contact with them all the time when we're unavailable to be physically together at the time. So I think it actually brings couples closer together because without it, you wouldn't be in contact all the time. So it's just a convenience. It's definitely less personal though if you substitute it for being together in person obviously. And you should absolutely talk on the phone if you're home and have no responsibilities but if you're out and about texting can be so helpful to talk to each other all day long :) But like I said, if you substitute it sometimes for being together in person than yeah that's bad.

• I fully agree with you.

I think it's taken it's toll on friendships too. Seems like people text more than talk now.

What's even worse is when a group of friends is out in public and all of them, or most of them, are on their phones. -.-

• I think it does. You don't have to be afraid to say ANYTHING when you're texting, which sucks. I've gotten into fights with people over text and when I try to call them to work it out so at least we can hear what each other really means over the phone, they refuse. (boys included) everyone does it sadly.

• I agree. If I ever date again, I will never accept texts as the main form of communication.

• 5 STARS!

You are so right! I hate texting, I prefer a gentleman who calls, not silly texts, that's very immature.

• I completely agree and am not having any luck with dating now due to this. I let it slide when first getting to know someone but after a while it just gets old. The last guy who I went on a couple of dates with, I told him via text that I preferred to talk on the phone. He said he would call me, and never did. I did not contact him at all after that. Then one month he contacts me...through text. UGH.

• I think if your just getting to know each other you should do both, But if your in a serious relationship you can't just text . You have to talk on the phone, I find myself talking on the phone more to the guy I been dating for years. But everyone else beside parents , I prefer texting.

• I don't think it has made dating less personal but it does open up an area for bad communication haha.

Texting/calling should be left for arranging meet-ups for the most part. I like talking to a person face to face. :)

What Guys Said 3

• I think so. Yes, it's convenient for making plans and what not, but it also causes a lot of ambiguity. You can have a sense of what the other person is thinking and feeling, but you can't be completely accurate. You feel you have to add an "lol" or a smiley to every message so that the other person doesn't think you're getting annoyed with them. Then, of course, the classic "why didn't he/she text me back right away?!?"

• Not just dating my friend but life in general. I agree with the comments about having someones attention when on the phone.

• yes, to some extent. sometimes when you text somebody else, you don't really know their true colors