Is it immature to breakup in a text????

i had a really sucky long distance relationship and I wanted 2 break up with him but I was afraid to call him and do it like that then I thought about sending an email but decided against it. So I decided to send a text but my friend said it was immature so I called him it was bad.. and now I regret not sending a text so do you think its immature 2 break up in a text

Most Helpful Girl

• It is immature to break up with someone by text if you could call them. It's also immature to break up with someone by phone if you could see them in person. All show a lack of respect and could cause the person to continually try to contact you using all of the above if there is not clarity and closure. If you have to wait more than 2 weeks to see the person, then you should just tell him by phone and try to avoid an arguement. That's why people send 'Dear John' letters to put the break-up in writing so that there's clarity. If he's coming back within 2 weeks, then wait to break up in person. Just don't do it by text message, that's tacky. KRL

What Guys Said 5

• Yes, I do...At the very least call him. It does suck to have to hear their voice during this situation, but a text is like a slap in the face. You did the right thing.

• I think it's immature. Since the relationship is long distance, a phone call would have been appropriate.

• I think it is, besides I would just pretend I didn't get it and call you anyways

• It really depends on the situation my friend had to break up with this girl but he tried to call and everything she would never answer or when she did when ever he brought up the topic she would quickly say I have to go. and when he text her she just would not answer back so he just told her straight up over a text which was necessary cause she wouldn't talk to him. but I think you did the right thing to call it shows that you not only have to guts to talk to him about it but the fact that you can actually get emotions involved sometimes people get different hints through texts and that leads to worse things. I but I don't think its immature it just a way to avoid the actual feelings and or the over all talk.

• no but it is really F^^^ up

What Girls Said 11

• it's much better to call. he would have felt worse if you had just texted him and it's only fair if you feel a little bit a bad.

• Yes

• I guess its easier because you want to have the final word without all the drama. But in any case breaking by text creates more drama and this guy is going to be calling you back. So Be confident and strong and call him out of respect and tell him. That way you can tie any loose ends.

• Yes, very. The person getting broken up with deserves more respect than that.

• Text break ups are very immature. All break ups suck no matter what. But they happen. You just gotta deal with them and it is probably easier for him to move on because you did it in a more personal way, it showed some respect.

• I think it is extremely bad to break up with somebody through a text message. Even if you don't want to, the best way to do it as well as the most mature way is meeting up with them in person [which you could not do] or to call in your case. Think if it were you on the other end, it's rough. With text messages, you can't really understand the tone the person is trying to get across. Even though it's a break-up - it can easily be misread. I would have went for calling.

• With that kind of social interaction, I would make sure to do it in person! I think doing it in a text would make me a wuss! It's like the equivalent to guys having "balls".

• never break up with someone unless it's face-to-face. it's so incredibly immature

• yes its disrecpectful and immature to break up by a text it shows either you are a coward or ur relation was nothing to you that you didn't bother yourself to face him. you did the right thing by calling him even if it went bad at least he respects you trust me

• I think that if you perceive that's all your relationship is worth, then fine break-up over a text. But if you truly valued what the two of you had, then it wouldn't be a good idea to break up over a text.

• you can't break up in a text. its like a rule or something haha.. when you don't call them its almost like you don't have enough respect for them to take 5 min. pick up the phone and talk to them. it also would make it seem like the relationship meant nothing. If you are going to break his heart, at least be kind enough to talk to him about it.. on the phone.. texts can also be interprited many different ways. It can just make things complicated.. you did the right thing :)