Why is it people seem afraid to actually talk on the phone now?

The other night I was texting a girl I've been on a few dates with. It was pretty much a real time conversation by text but I generally find it frustrating to text for that long. I ended up just ringing her and speaking to her on the phone as it was both easier and seemed more meaningful. She acted surprised when I did it and made it a bit awkward. The next day I told a friend and he also thought I had done a strange thing. Why are people so addicted to texting? and what's wrong with picking up the phone and actually talking?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd rather text OR meet in person than to talk on the phone. I don't like talking on the phone that much. Probably because it comes all of a sudden when you're in the midst of doing something and you have to put everything down and attend to it. At least with texting, you can text and do other things you wanna do. And if you meet someone for a cup of coffee, you know you're setting aside a few hours to spend time with that person. I would rather give my full attention to someone (as in the case of meeting them face to face), or just text them and be able to do my own stuff, rather than talk on the phone...cuz that's just...difficult. Everytime I'm on the phone, I'm tempted to continue doing what I was doing, because seriously, how hard can it be to just listen and talk while doing the laundry? But man, when you do, chances are you're gonna get distracted and the person on the other line would be able to tell straight away and you'd appear rude and misunderstandings will prob occur, so in the end you dump whatever you were doing, and just sit/lie down and just talk.

What Girls Said 6

• It's becoming easier and less time consuming to just text and email in modern society, people are on the move all the time, the world has got itself in one big hurry. I remember growing up back in the nineties and I'd talk to relatives, my school friends, anyone for literally hours on the land line but nowadays I'll only really ever call someone if they're running late, in extreme happy/sad situations, if I have a missed call from them or if I need to talk to one of my parents. I've become a bit phone shy purely because I've got so used to texting everyone and not speaking, I wish it wasn't that way though.

• Because today all you see is people texting ALL the time, while theyre crossing the street, while being rung up on the register, while hanging out with their friends, while watching tv, see where I'm getting at?

Its all about TEXTING! and nothing else, and we have become anti social and lost all human contact that all people want is to text it out. If they see someone who tripped on the sidewalk, they go on twitter and announce that or go on Facebook to tell all their friends how ridiculous this girl was being when she was walking and she tripped. I'm just making a point here. No one likes to talk on the phone anymore, except business men/woman.

• I really never 'loved' talking on the phone even before I started texting I liked meeting people face to face you know but even though I'm not a 'huge fan' of talking on the phone I end up having 5 hour long conversations lol I'm just bad at ending the phone calls xD No lie. Either way I talk a lot. haha

• right! its amazing! I think people multi task, when texting, and now are cought off guard. Crazy, I know! or people are afraid of radiation. All the talk about that.

• I only text when unable to talk. I'm a bad texter anyway.

Plus I'm a good conversationalist too.

In conclusion I'm not exactly sure...

• Ugh, I know! Most of my friends are obsessed with txting so when I ring them up they're all asking me why I'm calling them.

What Guys Said 1

• i personally hate phones since I have nothing to talk about. I'm very quiet in general so if someone calls me most of the time id be like uh huh, that's great, oh that sucks. Texting gives me more time to think of an appropriate response as well :D