My prom date has a handicap, what do I do?

He is an amazing guy, but he has a handicap where he has trouble walking right.. he needs a walker, a cane or support himself on someone's shoulder. At prom, I know he will want to dance (he said so). However, I don't know how to do it with his problems.. I don't want him to fall down or for us to take too much space (and I don't slow dance at all).. any suggestions?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, maybe you could slow your pace down just for him?

He is disabled.

Him being handicapped is only apparent if this is your main focus.

Just treat him like a normal person, and move at his pace.

Be the understanding person that you are and just have a great time.

What Guys Said 2

• And you're a pretty amazing girl it sounds like. Anyhoo, I'm thinkin he knows his limitations and won't want to risk exceeding them and embarrassing you both. I suggest you just give him some slack and see what comes of it. Hope you have a ball!

• your a sweet girl, you'll find a way.

What Girls Said 3

• Well if it's a slow dance, have him holding the cane and his other hand on your shoulder or waist and you can hold his waist or shoulders :3 Just a suggestion..

• Just follow his lead, he will know what he can and can't do. Have a terrific time.

• Why don't you try slow dancing? It's not hard. Otherwise just support him as best you can. I'm sure he'll be more than happy with however you two end up dancing. Ask him if he's comfortable and go from there.