Is it a deal breaker if you want kids and your partner does not?

Or vice versa. If you are adamant that you don't want kids and your partner really wants kids, could you be together or compromise without resenting the other person?

Do you want kids? How would you handle the situation?

Would you separate despite the fact you guys love each other?

• I want kids and my partner has to want them
  • I don't want kids and my partner has to feel the same
  • I can have kids or not have them and be satisfied either way

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it will be a deal breaker. As much as I love him and if he truly wants kids.. It's over. He can find another woman share the same value as him.

I don't want kids, I don't like the thought of raising one.. - I would gladly babysit them and be able to send them home. *I have no desire to be a parent.

Even if everything in my life is in place.. Definitely no kids..

There's no compromising when it comes down to it.

I'm going for a long term relationship.. He has to not want kids NOW and not want to have them THEN either..

What Guys Said 5

• Few things are certain to drive a wedge in your relationship, this being one.

I've vowed to have no children until men are given equal parenting rights. We don't live in the movies and love doesn't always prevail. It would take more then love to change my mind. It would take a very special person.

• I wouldn't get involved with a woman if she wouldn't tell me she didn't want kids. If she changes her mind later, I don't know what I would do. I might leave her.

• I don't see myself having kids and I would prefer someone who doesn't want kids as well. I might be open to the idea some time in the future, but currently I would like someone who doesn't want children.

• very much so

• Yes, I want kids

What Girls Said 5

• I think it can be very important in a relationship. It is a life altering decision and an experience that some people don't want to live without. If your partner knows that they don't, and will never want children then they are robbing you of that experience and that is just not fair.

So it can be very important and if you and your partner are not agreeing the one who wants kids have to decide if that want is more important than the relationship, or not.

• I'm torn. I'm only 20, so it's a bit young for me to decide yet but I don't really want kids of my own in the future, but my fiance wants me to have his children. It's a touchy topic so we just don't talk about it. I wouldn't mind adopting or a surrogate mother but I don't want to have them.

In the future this could either make or break us. But I could always change my mind.

• Probably, but your feelings may change. Mine did. I never wanted kids. We were married for 7 years before I changed my mind. He never said a word to me. Never asked to change my mind or reconsider. He knew up front. One day, I just knew I wanted them.

I know people who have left their spouses for this reason. It really just depends.

• i love kids.. if he can't have kids due to health reasons fine with me but if its just because he just don't like having one I will definitely leave him

• At some point I would like to have kids, if I was involved with a guy that didn't want them, that would be a problem.