I'm in a bit of a predicament. What do y'all think I should do?

Just a bit of warning, this is a kind of long story.

About a week ago I went to sign up for classes for college (I’ll be a freshmen next year). We had an orientation type deal over two days. We were in groups while we were there and, of course, there was a girl in my group who I thought was cute. While we were there, trying to be a gentleman, I took her jacket because she was just carrying it around and I had a backpack I could put it in. Well, we kept forgetting to get it out of my backpack to get it back to her, and at the end of orientation I still had it. We had broken apart to go our separate ways at this point, so I asked out councilor for her number so I could get the jacket to her (at this point that was truly my only concern). He gave it to me and I texted her, but she didn’t see it. It ended up not mattering because I ran into her shortly after that. I told her about me getting her number, so she knows I have it.

I had a very hard time reading this girl. She seems nice and interesting, but she seemed like she was kind of intimidated the whole time we were there. She told me that she doesn’t like meeting new people very much. However, she then told me that she was glad she met me because she would probably be walking around in our group by herself if she hadn’t.

Later on we were talking about her not liking to meet new people, and I told her it would probably be easier for her because she would have guys coming up to talk to her (obviously implying they would be flirting with her). She responded saying, “Well then I’ll just be like this is my friend X (referring to me).”

I guess my question (finally) is, do you think it would be wrong for me to text her just to chat with her? It’s not like she gave me her number, so I don’t know what to do exactly. I’d like to chat with her just to try to get to know her better and stuff, but I don’t know how to go about it. What do y’all think?

Most Helpful Girl

• You're right...it *is* a long story... but I wrote a few doozies when I first came on to GAG, haha.

I would say don't spoil the good live vibe you have going by texting each other. I firmly believe that texting is the equivalent of that stomach cramp you get when gym is the class right after lunch. You already enjoy her company, and she seems to enjoy yours. Just be around her when you have the chance. CALL instead of texting since you already have a good verbal rapport.

Now just note that there's always a chance that the "friend" comment she tossed at you means that she is planning to keep you there as her sturdy wing man rather than her date/BF. There's a 50/50 chance of that, so if you like her as more than a friend, make your intentions clear as you move along in the relationship.

• Haha, yea at the last minute I thought it would be a god idea to put up the warning :P

I just don't know what to do. It's like you said, I don't want to screw it up by texting her, but at the same time I want to talk to her. If we lived closer together it wouldn't be a problem, but we most likely won't see each other again until early August.

• Haha, well I guess I might as well get over my dislike of talking on the phone at some point :P I think I will wait at least a few more days before I do anything though. Thank you again for your answer!

• NP. Good luck. :-)

What Girls Said 2

• Just text her and be like, "hey, remember me? I'm the one with the jacket. Just thought I'd say hi since it'd be nice to know someone when school starts.." Or something of that nature.

• You have no idea how much I want to do that! I just don't know. I don't want to screw it up and scare her off or mess it up some how. So, if it were you, you wouldn't have a problem with not having given me your number yourself?

• Haha all girls are different. I think she'd have given you her number eventually anyway so it's not that big of a deal. But her reaction will tell you.

• Haha, yea I feel like she would have too, but I guess I would rather have had her give it to me on her own time. I guess there's only one way to find out now, huh? :P

• Wow hearing ( well reading) how you took her jacket so you can hold it and going to the counselor to get her number made me feel like a guy just did that for me. I say do it, she would be stupid to not want to get to know you! It would be her loss :) good luck

• haha, thanks I guess? I like to put in detail to make sure that the whole story is understood. I guess I think it might make the question easier to answer :)

Haha, yea I really want to! But like I told the other two posters, I'm worried I'll screw it up, get friend zoned, etc. I'm torn. Like I asked Prettygurl12, You wouldn't have a problem with not having given me your number yourself? I don't want her to freak out and label me as a creep or something. I've seen that happen too often.

• And thanks for your answer!

What Guys Said 0